Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Strike ended

Yep, early this morning the union goons called off the strike. The school board canceled school today at 10 pm last night. They met through the night, and the union agreed to go back to work tomorrow. So everyone had a free day off today. Except no one gets paid. And (I'm assuming) the kids will have to make it up next summer. No word on what the deal was, and the teachers still have to vote to pass the contract.

I wonder how much this will cost me in taxes?

Never saw Red or her family this week. I think they might have gone out on some impromptu day trips.

In other news, I've been harvesting what I can out of the garden. Today I brought in onions. Mr. Incredible kept saying what a bust my onions were. Just wait till he sees 3 full Ziplock containers full of chopped onion in the freezer! Ha! And that was just one bed of them. (But the other bed looks really pitiful, so I'd better not gloat too much just yet.) I also found a huge gourd growing out there! I need to find the seed packets to see how big it was supposed to get, then do a quick search to find out how to dry it. Violet's hoping to turn it into a bird feeder.

I've decided that next week I have to break out the steam cleaner and work on the carpets. I've known it for a long time. Today as I tried to carry a cat off the carpet onto the tile before :you know: happened and didn't make it, that kind of confirmed the need to steam clean. Blech.

I'm going to wait until next week though because the window guys called today and will install our new windows on Friday. We are just getting the 2 cracked ones replaced. Violet is hoping they will be quick because she'd like to go to open gymnastics in the afternoon. I think they will be done.

So things are falling nicely into place. School is going pretty good. Things are quieting down on the work and Girl Scout fronts. Although I did take something else on today. Every year our service unit participates in an Operation Thanksgiving drive, where each troop fills a box with a prescribed list of canned and dried goods for a local food pantry. Other organizations donate the turkey and a few other fresh items. I offered to collect and drop off a box for our homeschool Juliette friends. I really wanted Violet to get to help with that, so this will be good. One family has already promised a bunch of the items on the list. I think it will be a success.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

To hear that things are "falling nicely into place" is probably the best news of all. :-)

SabrinaT said...

Sounds like you and Violet have a great plan for the year.
The teachers will probably just take a sick day and get paid!