Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Day Two

Yep, they are still out on strike. This is beginning to get boring, even for me. Thank you dear readers who are sticking through it with me.

I drove by the school yesterday on my way to the bank. The teachers were all out there with their little picket signs. Now tell me, if they really didn't intend to strike until the wee morning hours, how did they get their signs printed up so fast? Hmm? Anyway, the teachers were all out there marching up and down having a jolly good time. I wish it would rain. :evil laughter:

Dear reader Dariasmama asked if they were getting paid while on strike. I'm not sure if there is any sort of strike fund through the union, but I know they aren't being paid by the schools. Let's see how long they can live without their measly salaries now. Actually I'd be a little upset if the union had enough money to pay the teachers even half their salaries. They are teachers not teamsters for crying out loud. Although they are starting to be as scary as teamsters.

They were crying in the morning newspaper that they all have to make their health insurance premiums themselves today or lose their insurance. How could the school board DO that to them? The outrage. :more evil laughter:

All this has me wanting to pull out an old copy of "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair to see what unions were originally all about.

The decision to cancel school today was made at 9pm last night, although talks went on for a few more hours. I ask you, who on earth can possibly think this is reasonable? Sure Beaver Cleaver's mom wouldn't have had a problem with childcare arrangements at that late hour, but even she had things to do,places to go, rooms to vacuum, pearls to wear. How on earth are working parents supposed to be coping with this? Oh right, they are supposed to be flooding the school board members with pleas to give the teachers everything they want and just settle it now. The same teachers who are supposedly teaching the children zero tolerance on bullying.

The school board has already given in to several of their demands. I am so bitterly disappointed in our teachers and so determined never to send Violet into any of their classrooms.

4 comments:

Red said...

Here here Mrs. Incredible!!!

I love homeschooling. Our schedule is soooooo flexible that it scares me. My daughter who is not in her freshman year of highschool, did not roll out of bed until 10 AMish and she has already done about 2 hours of Language arts and 1 hour of math. I am with her on language arts and we love sitting side by side and figuring things out.

I do not know all of thee answers, and that is all right. We find them together.

She schools into the wee hours of the night while I am asleep. Ain't' life as a homeschooler grand?!?!?!

MOM #1 said...

The Jungle Indeed. . . those teachers have forgotten what side of the bread the butter is on! For shame!

I've never heard of such foolishness in my life.

And here all this time, I've been believing all that crap about being in the profession for the children.

What we do (home school) is for the children. Not only do I NOT get paid, NOT receive any health insurance, but I also have to pay for all of my own supplies out of my very own VERY SHALLOW pocket.

Don't even get me started, Freakmom, don't even get me started!

Wendy said...

As Red commented on your previous post, this really starts a ripple effect. I shudder to think of it. My sister is a single mom of 4, living far from family and friends. If teachers in her town went on strike, not only would they lose their pay, but my sister would also lose a day (or more) of pay.

Teachers think they are suffering, so they want to make everyone else suffer. At least they have health insurance, or a shot in hell of paying for it. At least they have employment.

I am thankful that my house is on the road to sales-ville. So glad to get out of home ownership (for the foreseeable future as we traipse around the world with the military).

It also makes me grateful for homeschooling, because my son can see that I care about his education. Some teachers care about the children, but it seems like more care about producing results, so they can get paid more money.

What they do by educating our children is important and it is a service to the public. They seem to have lost sight of that. And it isn't that they aren't appreciated, but taxpayers' pockets can only be stretched so far.

dariasmama said...

Something else to consider: The union decided to call the strike, not the individual teachers. How many of those teachers are losing money by the strike and the union has them so brainwashed that they either don't see or are afraid to do anything about it?

I'm not anti workers' organization, but I just don't trust unions on the whole. They served their purpose, but like the federal government, they have gotten too large and powerful. In my experience, it seems the unions are now about perpetuating their own existence, which seems to skew everything.

Mom #1, since you aren't gonna use the soapbox *L*.....