Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Heat Wave

Our weather has turned hot this week. And humid. Upper 80s. (Mom #1 is thinking that sounds nice and cool.) I'm really not complaining, we've had a really good summer weatherwise. Except for the hail. But the rain has been tremendous for the garden, and I expect this week's sun and heat will be too. After being buried in snow for months last winter, it is nice to be warm.

I'm a little bit bummed that it will be hot this weekend. It is our first Girl Scout camp trip of the summer. Violet and I are going one night to the camp that I went to as a girl. It is a family weekend, so there will be dads and brothers there as well as moms and girls. I'm wondering if we'll get our own platform tent to sleep in. That would be really nice. The cots always kill my back, so if it is just us in the tent I'm going to pull my mattress off the cot and sleep on the wood floor with it.

The camp info said we can participate in their planned activities or just hang out by the pool. We are going to check out their activities, but love the fall back plan of hanging out by the pool. Especially if it is hot. I'm thinking archery might be crowded and filled with dads and brothers. Violet loves the sport, but gets intimidated by boys. Crafts would be fun. She loves a good camp craft. They don't have a lake, but are on a river, so if they offer canoeing I'm not so sure about it. Violet needs better swimming skills and more upper body strength before tackling currents. The pool will be fun and so will just hiking around and hanging out at camp.

Today is my day off from work. I'm still not used to this having days off. For years I checked e-mail and worked every day. Usually only an hour or so a day, but still, daily. At first I was thinking I'd take my computer and do a little bit of the stuff I have to do while Violet is in her class, but then I realized that was a dumb plan. I'm taking books and magazines instead.

Yesterday there was no mention from her at all the Violet was the only girl. I guess the fun outweighs the cooties. Yippee!

1 comment:

MOM #1 said...

If it was in the 80's here we'd all be dancing in the streets. Since yesterday it was 105, it's too hot to dance outsid, LOL. Even still, plans to hand out at the pool sound lovely!

To me 75 and up is definitely pool weather!

I'm glad Violet is enjoying her class. I guess she's so awesome with all of her girliciousness, that it busted up all those boy cooties.

Hurray for her!