Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Still going smoothly

This is scary. Three days into the new semester and things are still going smoothly. We've yet to have a tear from either Violet or me. We've done spelling and grammar every day. Our only math has been board games. That might make a difference. I'm going with the theory that creative learning right brained thinkers like Violet do better learning math from games and practical hands on activities than from workbooks.

We've been doing a lot of science. Have I mentioned that is Violet's favorite subject. We are starting in with physics. We'll be getting into the "Motions and Forces" unit from My World Science soon. But we've started with some biographical material on Galileo and Newton. And a physics kit called Newton's Wizard that we picked up a year or two ago at a gift shop. Today we watched the DVD Galileo: On the Shoulders of Giants. It was pretty good.

ACK! Stop the presses. I can't go on with my blog entry. I just went to My World Science to get the link to post in my entry and THEY WENT OUT OF BUSINESS LAST WEEK!!! I was going to order the other 3 books from them. Now what? I have to go search around and see if I can find anyone else selling them. I'll be back later. In a nutshell, school is going good. See you later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad it is going well for you both!!!
I feel there is nothing wrong with board games for Math. That is how we start each Math lesson. Dylan loves games!! I buy all the silly math games from Scholastic. He really enjoys them.
Dylan's favorite subject is History. We do Story of the World. Not much on Science. I will have to check the homeschool website auctions for your suggestions!!
Have you tried www.homeschoolclassifieds.com?
I think one is called three little piggys. I will try to look some up for you.

Fatcat said...

Can you do long division and multiplication and division of fractions with a game?

If you find one, let me know!

Freakmom said...

Thanks for the site suggestions, Bunny. I will look into that.

Don't know of any higher math board games, but them must exist.