Sunday, January 20, 2008

Loving Amazon Prime!

About a year ago Mr. Incredible signed us up for Amazon Prime shipping. I think he had an offer to get it free or half price or something for a limited time. We have fallen in love with it and recently renewed for a year. It costs $79 for a year, but for us it is worth.

We can both use it in our own names and accounts (so those secret birthday gifts stay secret) and get free two-day shipping on many items. Mostly things not shipped by Amazon don't qualify. We used to use their free shipping on orders over $25 a lot, but we were finding ourselves buying stuff we didn't need just to qualify for the free shipping. $5 here and $10 adds up. And with their regular free shipping they take FOREVER to ship your items.

So with Amazon Prime we get two-day shipping free on any size order. I just ordered a book on gardening for Violet to use as a text later this Spring. (I'm going all Charlotte Mason-y lately and using living books as texts. Sure, they aren't the ones she used, but hey, who's to say she wouldn't use these if she were alive and teaching now?) It was $10, I just ordered it, didn't go searching for another $15 of stuff that I might want to get free shipping. If we could order everything we need with it, we would!

This past Christmas season we discovered a great feature of having an Amazon Prime account: free gift shipping! We have a lot of out of state nieces and nephews, plus a few friends, and we can order their gift and in two days it arrives. Sometimes we splurge for the gift wrap options. Other times I opt for more gift and hope they don't mind the brown cardboard "gift wrap". What it has saved us in postage alone has to have paid for the account! We even used it to ship gifts within the area to people we weren't likely to see, but were still obligated to buy for (you'll have to talk to Mr. Incredible about that one for an explanation, I had crossed them off the gift list, he put them back on.)

I'm sure this option doesn't make sense for most families, but for us, it has been great!

5 comments:

Wendy said...

As someone who uses Amazon.com very frequently (once a month, I'd say, or every other month at a minimum), I must look into the Prime.

I use the Super Saver shipping. Most of my orders are over $50, but sometimes it would be nice to have things sooner. I really like 2-day shipping...

The Old Gray Mare said...

I love ordering from Amazon! I always get the Super Saver shipping.

Ami said...

I'm a Goodwill shopper.I bought three books in there yesterday, actually. Seven dollars.
I'm trying to recall the last time I bought a book brand new.

hmm.

Oh, wait. We did buy the last Harry Potter book.

Now you have to understand... I LOVE books. I read lots of them. I just don't buy very many.

Ha. Just add me to your gift list, I don't mind the cardboard packaging at ALL.

:-D

Anonymous said...

Rosie loves cardboard packages! She got another one yesterday from her Illinois auntie! ;o)

(((Thank you!)))

MOM #1 said...

I'm a book-o-holic and probably won't be recovering anytime soon. I use Amazon a lot, but have been too lazy to really read and figure out what that Amazon Prime really is all about.

Thanks for the informed review, I think I really MUST look into it.

I simply must.