Thursday, January 3, 2008

Soup recipes

Veggie broth can be used in any soup recipe that calls for beef broth. Sometimes it can substitute for chicken broth in soup, but not always. For example it would be great in vegetable soup, but probably not in chicken chowder.

Here are two recipes I use veggie broth in:

Minestrone Soup

1 quart water or vegetable stock
2 cans plum tomatoes, chopped with juice saved
1 small can tomato sauce
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup broccoli, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small carrot, shredded
1 cup green beans (I use frozen)
1 cup peas (frozen too)
½ cup garbanzo beans (I usually just throw the whole can in because I can never think of what to do with the rest of it)
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
1 small can sliced black olives
1 garlic cove, minced
2 T Italian herbs (I forgot to include this the first time I made this soup and liked it, so I never included it)
salt and pepper to taste
approx. 1 cup small pasta
grated parmesan cheese

Combine in a large pot water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, & veggies. Simmer 30 to 45 minutes. Add black olives, garlic, herbs and spices. Continue to simmer 25-30 minutes. Add pasta and cook about 10-15 minutes until pasta is soft. Garnish with Parmesan cheese (if desired).


Turkey and Bean Soup

Cook the following in a crock pot on high for 4-5 hours:

1 lb. ground turkey, browned and drained
1/2 c chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic
1 T Italian seasoning
1 bag (16 oz) Frozen Fiesta Blend Vegetables (broccoli, carrots, white beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, Italian style green beans & red peppers) or something similar
1 can (15 oz) chopped tomatoes (undrained)
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (15 oz) red beans (drained and rinsed)
2-1/2 cups veggie broth

Serve over cooked pasta or alone.

1 comment:

The Old Gray Mare said...

I've never had minestrone soup. It sounds like something I would like a lot, so I'm going to give it a try. Thanks!