Monday, January 14, 2008

Science update

I've calmed down over the science issue. As you know from reading a few days ago my science program went out of business before I bought my curriculum for Spring semester. I thought about trying to e-mail and see if I could still order some of it. Or looking for it used. But I got a little mad that there was no warning whatsoever that the business would be closing. There is even a Yahoo group that the author herself posts to. There was no post saying, "its been great, but I can't do it any more, I'm closing up shop." It was just gone.

I started researching and looking around for other curriculum. Problem is I want a strictly secular program and there are so few to choose from. So I decided it could do it myself. Finding experiments is easy, there are tons of cool books to choose from. But I wanted Violet to get more explanation. She's done so much science in her short academic career but still craves more. We discussed with her what types of science topics she'd like to study when she finishes with physics in a few weeks. She chose chemistry.

I hit the library book shelves to see if I could find anything that would be good. I brought a few home and Mr. Incredible and I looked through them. We found one we both really liked and I ordered it today from Amazon: Fizz, Bubble & Flash!: Element Explorations & Atom Adventures for Hands-On Science Fun!

It has lessons about the periodic table and fun experiments. It looks like the right level for her. Interesting, fun and still something new for her to learn. I'll report back in a few weeks about how it works out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope it's a winner! :o)

Ami said...

We really liked The Backyard Scientist series of books for hands-on experiments. TOPScience is also quite a bit of fun, and uses household items or items that are easy to find.

Both my kids enjoyed the stuff from Steve Spangler Science, too. I've ordered lots of things from them over the years and always been happy with the products.