Thursday, January 17, 2008

Physics of the falling pear

Violet has been working her way through a physics kit learning all about Newton's laws. I've been pretty good at being able to help her. Then today we came to an experiment where you were supposed to drop an apple or a pear on a sharp knife from different heights to see how far into the fruit the knife goes. Has to do with velocity and acceleration. I said we needed to wait for Mr. Incredible before we used a sharp knife.

In many ways around here I am the responsible grownup. I make sure the bills are paid on time. I see to it that we are saving enough for real estate taxes. I remind everyone when it is bedtime. But sharp knives? I'm not allowed to use them.



Here they are measuring the depth of the knife after a short drop. I made Violet wear her safety goggles. I think they are cute.



Here they are dropping it from a distance. Sorry it is blurry. And sorry for the mess in my kitchen. I was cooking a lot today and didn't tidy up. (Like I ever tidy up, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.)





The aftermath. Hmm, want to guess Violet's real name?




Reviewing the results with the book and eating the science materials. (See, untidy counter top too.)

It was a fun experiment and I'm glad we waited for Mr. Incredible. I think he enjoyed helping her.

5 comments:

The Old Gray Mare said...

I think it is so cool that daddy is involved. Looks like they were having fun. But really, you're going to have to stop being such a slob. ;o)

Donna said...

Looks like you guys are having fun making your science experiment a family affair : )
As for guessing your daughters real name I think that clue may be hidden in the step stool...

Anonymous said...

Fantastic experiment! Hands on is the only way to go, IMHO. Thanks for sharing the photos! :o)

Fatcat said...

Better watch showing her real name. The superhero relocation program might make ya'll move again!

MOM #1 said...

That looked like ALL the fun!

I love when the whole family gets involved.

That's definitely my kind of schoolwork!