Thursday, December 6, 2007

You can't predict anything

Wouldn't you know it, just when I think I have the theater all figured out, they change it on me. They didn't have all the homeschoolers up in the balcony this time. In fact, Violet and I had front row seats. We could hear the dancers feet hit the stage with each jump. Violet said she preferred this front row view over the balcony.

The show was good. I was completely distracted during a large chunk of it though because the nut from the first scene had been dropped on the stage. It sat there through the whole party scene and the fight with the mice. Finally one of the dancers kicked it over out of the way and scooped it up on her way off stage. I had thought for sure someone would trip on it and mess up their ankle but good.

Violet noticed that the show was shorter than The Nutcracker typically is and that scenes had been left out. I didn't know she knew the story that well. (I can't even tell you with certainty what wasn't it in.) The school day performances are always just an hour and have scenes cut. I guess most kids can't sit still longer than that in a large group. In fact the school group in the area next to us was getting pretty restless. I saw one girl about Violet's age completely flopped over in her seat. I guess I'd be too if I had to leave the theater and get back on the school bus and head back to that institution. But hey, our tickets are all $6 each. If we wanted the full show we could go back over the weekend and pay the full $30 and up for tickets. I'll take our shows just now, thank you very much.

Our next tickets aren't until February. We actually have 4 shows in February. We will be very cultured that month I tell you! The nice thing now is that at all the other shows this year we will know at least one other family there. There are 3 of us families who do a lot together these days. I guess you could say we've formed our own little support group. We are tentatively planning to go out after the shows to discuss them and enjoy lunch or hot chocolate or something. (We'll figure it out when it gets closer.)

As for tomorrow, we are supposed to go to my parents for the day. But as I type, it is snowing again. If Mr. Incredible needs a car that actually has traction in snow (he drives a Mustang - the last thing you want on a snowy road with the possible exception of a Camaro) then we'll stay home. We probably won't know until he has to leave to catch the train at 6 am. If our road hasn't been plowed yet, he'll take the Trailblazer. In theory, Violet and I could both get up and drive him to the train and be there to pick him up in the evening. We've never wanted to go anywhere badly enough to do that. We'd rather stay in. I'm good either way for tomorrow. I'd like to go to my folks, but staying home would be good too and we'll go next week. (They were the owners of both a Mustang and a Camaro in years past - they know all about bad roads and no traction. So there will be no questioning of whatever decision is made in the early morning hours.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep us posted either way! ;o)

Ami said...

I took my Girl Scouts to see You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown this week. School day performance. We were seated in the way back section. :)

But you know, we had a nice time. This is the first school day performance of anything I've attended since I was in grade school.

You should post more. I like reading your bloggie.

:)