Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Sump pump woes

For those of you who couldn't give a Thin Mint about Girl Scout complaints, here's a second post for today.

Our sump pump is on the fritz. A few months ago it wouldn't turn off. Then it started working again. Who knows why? Tonight it was pumping and pumping and wouldn't turn off. So Mr. Incredible investigated and found out that nothing was going out of it. He jiggled things a bit, then thought that maybe with all this freezing rain the hose might be frozen. Bingo.

A few unsuccessful attempts to get the frozen clog out and finally he brought it inside and thawed it in the bathtub. Then he rehooked it up. Now water can flow freely in it, but guess what? The sensor got jiggled and broken and it no longer knows when to turn on. Uh oh.

Mr. Incredible showed me how to turn it on and off (you just plug it in and unplug it, luckily it was that easy). He is going to be home late tomorrow night so I might have to empty it during the day. I was glad he showed me how tonight, rather than try to explain it to me over the phone tomorrow when it is close to overflowing.

Mr. Incredible blames himself for breaking it. I don't at all. It is nearly 10 years old and wasn't working right a few months ago. He seems to have blocked the prior fritz out of his memory. For now we'll just plug it in and unplug it. Could be worse, it could not work at all. That would be bad. We'll figure something out later.

And who knows, maybe it will repair itself again!

3 comments:

The Old Gray Mare said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Old Gray Mare said...

The deleted comment was me, messing up. Sorry!

There is never a convenient time for things around the house to go on the blink. There are so many things we take for granted until they stop doing their job, then it's an emergency to get it fixed.

It could start magically working again.

About a month ago, my washer made a weird noise and wouldn't drain the water out. I had no clue what to do or who to call (dh was in Texas). I turned it off, let it sit about 30 minutes, turned it back on and "voila!" it started working again.

However, now I don't trust it. I don't throw a load in before going to bed or leaving the house. :o/

Anonymous said...

We don't have a sump pump, but we do have a septic system that likes to gurgle. I feel your pain. :o(