Wednesday, December 12, 2007

It's okay to say Merry Christmas

The "man on the street" question in our local newspaper was "How do you feel about people saying 'Happy Holidays' instead of 'Merry Christmas'?". Most of the respondents made comments about being upset about taking Christ out of Christmas. The whole concept of Happy Holidays versus Merry Christmas was lost on the morons in this very conservative area (yet another reason I so often feel like a freak).

The point of "Happy Holidays" isn't to diminish Christ or Christmas. It is to acknowledge that not everyone on the planet is a Christian and celebrates Christmas. It is okay to tell people who celebrate Christmas, "Merry Christmas." But for those who don't, I expect it gets tiresome to hear over and over. Stores proclaiming "Happy Holidays" are simply acknowledging that some of their customers are of other faiths or perhaps none at all. (Okay, I realize that most are actually just being politically correct, but you get my point.)

Would you want to be wished "Shalom" on Passover, over and over and over again, if you weren't Jewish? I'm guessing not. Or how about, "May Allah's Blessing Be With You at Ramadan"? Why must people cram their religion down the throats of others.

"Happy Holidays" simply wishes a joyful season (filled with many holidays from which to choose) to everyone. If you prefer to personalize your greeting to the person you are greeting, absolutely do so! If you don't know what holiday they may celebrate why not politely ask? I work for a traditionally Jewish accounting firm, clients don't always know my religious beliefs and on several occasions I've been asked if I celebrate a particular religious holiday. I've never taken offense. Besides, just because someone is of a particular faith, doesn't necessarily mean they celebrate each and every holiday.

So to all my blog readers, I wish you a Very Happy Holiday Season! I choose this option because I know you are of many different faiths and I hope you and your families enjoy time of year however you celebrate it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just Love YOU!!! :)

I also worked at a Jewish Eldery home in Denver many many many years ago. But I NEVER took offense when they wished me a Happy Hanukkah! We are all on this earth together!!! Let's just get along!!
(Ya right, my two kids can't get along for 1 minute!!)
Have a wonderful holiday season!!!

Anonymous said...

I see nothing wrong with saying either myself. :o)

Ami said...

I find a good, hearty, BAH HUMBUG really shows my true holiday spirit.

:-D

MOM #1 said...

I completely agree. Why not include everyone? It doesn't hurt that much, try it.

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. I've been reading yours for a while, but I'm SO lazy with my comments.

Love your blog.

See you around the Denim Jumper!