Saturday, December 29, 2007

No Smoking in Illinois

In what I think is the best law I've heard about in ages, Illinois is banning indoor smoking in almost all areas beginning January 1, 2008.

Of course in the papers and on the news you see all these complaints from smokers and restaurant and bar owners. I just shook my head at the bar owner saying more people are going to die from pneumonia because they had to stand outside to smoke, than people ever did from secondhand smoke. Way to not know your facts, sir.

I admired the local restaurant owner who said the ban is a good thing. Now people will be forced to choose their eating establishment based on food and service rather on whether or not they can smoke there. Sounds like he is up for that challenge.

The only bad thing I can think of is that we will have to walk through the clouds of smoke to enter buildings now. But we often did that anyway. And if people don't like having to stand outside and smoke they have two options: quit or stay home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOOT!

Wendy said...

We've had the smoking ban in Delaware for some time now, and I don't believe it has had a negative impact on businesses.

Business-owners complained, but then they never backed up their complaints with hard facts (to show any changes in business after the ban).

It IS nice to go to public places and not smell the smoke.