Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Why do I do it?

I've been thinking about Ami Mental's comment asking why I put up with nonsense I get from the other Girl Scout leaders in our service unit. It was a good question and really got me asking myself the same thing. Why do I do it? Should I even bother? After all, Violet isn't in a troop any more and is very happy being on her own.

I came up with a couple of reasons why. The first is that I really like working with the majority of the women on our service team. They are a bunch of fun, we are always laughing, and they make me feel good about myself. I like being part of something bigger and to know what is going on behind the scenes. And I know it sounds crazy, but I like committee meetings. I miss regular staff meetings at work, since I now work from home. I guess it is how I can get my fix of adult interactions.

The idiots are few and far between. The vast majority are so nice and really appreciate any help I am able to give them or their troops. I loved that I was able to hook up a couple of girls whose troops had disbanded with new troops. And if I can do some of the committee work and free up the leaders to spend time with their troops then everyone wins. Having to put up occasionally with a few idiots here and there isn't so bad. The pluses outweigh the idiots!

I guess that's why I do it.

No comments: