Thursday, December 27, 2007

The after-Christmas blahs

Can you tell by my new poll that I'm feeling a bit of the post-Christmas blues? I'm so glad it is over and want things to get back to normal again. By noon on Christmas day I was ready to take the tree down and put it away. Of course it is still up and will probably be up for a least another week.

We had a nice Christmas but I feel like I let people down. I didn't do much. I was determined not to overdo and stress out. No cards were sent. Didn't get as many presents. Didn't make a big dinner. Didn't go to any parties except 2 family gatherings. So while I didn't stress during the holiday, I seem to be doing it now. I was happy with our more simple holiday celebrations, I just wish everyone else could be too.

Maybe I have the Charlie Brown syndrome, when he gets so upset with the commercialization of the holiday. His little tree is quite acceptable to him at first. But no one else likes it. It isn't good enough for them. They want more.

We really need to watch our spending so I tried hard to keep Christmas presents in control. Now Mr. Incredible has asked to get a new car. He has a Mustang, and while he loves it, it is rotten in bad weather. He'd like to sell it and get a new Jeep. It is an extremely practical solution to our winter transportation needs. I just dread the new car payment. Sigh.

Back to work I guess. I need to clean up the house (still wish I could get that tree out of the front room!), take advantage of the quiet time to catch up with some work projects, and plan for second semester of third grade.

5 comments:

MOM #1 said...

I guess I truly am crazy. I voted that I wish it is always Christmas, but I was so tired and stressed and overwhelmed during the entire pre-Christmas season.

I guess it really is true that some people aren't happy unless they are worrying and complaining about something. And even worse, I guess I'm one of those people.

Now, back to that after Christmas house cleaning...LOL.

Fatcat said...

I know what you mean. I tried to do just what I honestly felt like doing. I did feel like baking cookies once this year and so we did that, nothing fancy though. No gingerbread. I made picture cards online and gave them out by hand, instead of sending them. (Mainly because I didn't get any envelopes with my order- at least that was my excuse!) My family is used to the down-sized Christmas, because a few years ago when my husband was laid off from work, we had to downsize and we've stayed that way for the most part. We did spend a bit more on the kids this year, but their number of presents didn't go up, it's just that their wants get more expensive as they get older!

The Old Gray Mare said...

Last night we watched "Christmas with the Kranks". It was funny, but did make a valid point. Do we do things because we really want to, or are we pressured into it because it's what everyone expects?

We are the only house in our neighborhood not decked out with lights, wreaths, and giant inflatables. Do I feel bad? Not a bit!

Although I did feel a few twinges of guilt when I only sent out 5 Christmas cards.

Anonymous said...

I was happy with our lil 3 ft. tree that got taken down the day after Christmas. Now if all the inlaws would go home...

Freakmom said...

Mom#1, we need someone around to keep us happy and in the spirit! Or to at least try.