Saturday, August 2, 2008

Finding time to relax

My last post sounded pretty stressed, didn't it? I was at the time. But don't worry dear Blog Friends, I am feeling better tonight.

First off, my ace, number one, isn't she the greatest ever manager managed to beg, plead, cajole, bat her eyelashes, promise our first born and got us a week extension on the deadline. Violet and the manager's oldest daughter Sophie must report to Springfield on Monday for a life of office drudgery. We are breathing easier.

I do have the presentations in much better shape. I've submitted 2 drafts and will have one more in by tomorrow. I've got a start on another one, and the last one I'm just "fixing" for someone else. With an extra week to go, I am feeling much less urgency.

In fact, I took Friday off. I'm supposed to be taking 2 days off each week. I had so much to do that I worked Monday through Thursday. The planned day off turned out to be a good thing, because I had no internet access all Friday morning. Do you know how much you can get done when you can get on the internet? It was incredible! Incredibly scary that is. Hope that doesn't happen again. I vacuumed, mopped, cleaned, organized and even put away stuff from Violet's birthday party weeks ago. After we returned from the library I even swept the garage!

Ok, I was having a floor issue. It was so humid here and everywhere I walked stuff, icky, yucky, crummy stuff, stuck to the bottoms of my feet. It was disgusting. I cleaned the kitchen and found stuff stuck to them in the family room. I cleaned the family room and went down to the basement, more stuff stuck. I cleaned the basement and went into the garage to put stuff in recycling bin and stuff stuck to me in the garage. It was a spiral effect. And yes, I know we are pigs.

I got up and worked this morning. Made good progress. Mr. Incredible and Violet walked to the park. Tonight we decided to order pizza. Looking through the ads we found a place in another town that offered beer nuggets. Don't know what beer nuggets are? Ah, you didn't go Northern Illinois University. They are a staple of college life there, and difficult to find in the rest of the world. They are chunks of pizza dough deep fried and served with pizza sauce. So simple, yet so delicious. When they are done right. They can be disgusting. Only a few places on campus make really good ones. But like any delicacy, which places do it right are a matter personal taste.

The new pizza place said they deliver to some parts of our town, but didn't say which ones. I called and asked. He didn't know. I told him our subdivision name (our town is all subdivisions, you don't tell anyone what street you live on, but rather which subdivision you live in). He didn't know. I told him our street, he asked what other streets it was near. He put me on hold and looked it up. Yes, they'll deliver here. I placed our order. It took him 3 times to get our credit card number straight (I expect on Monday I'll be calling to cancel our credit card after Skippy does who knows what with it.) I asked him to repeat the address (which Mr. Incredible figured would get my half of the pizza spit on). He did. Repeat it that is, I'm not sure if he spit or not.

An hour passes, no sign of our pizza. Mr. Incredible goes to call when the phone rings, the driver is lost. He gives him directions (Mr. Incredible is good at that). We get our pizza and beer nuggets.

The pizza definitely tasted like it had been driving around in the car for a long time. The 2-liter of soda that came with the meal deal was warmer than the pizza (we'll drink it tomorrow after it has chilled).

But the beer nuggets were really good. Pillowly puffs of dough. Crispy on the outside. Doughy on the inside. Full of yummy goodness. All except the parts where the sauce had leaked out and got on the nuggets. Soggy nuggets are bad.

Tomorrow we're still going to see The Dark Knight. I still have rooms that could stand a few hours of internet-outage induced cleaning. But my tummy is full and my arteries are clogging and life is good.

1 comment:

MOM #1 said...

Those sound delicious. Yum!

I'm glad things have settled down a bit and you have a moment or two to catch your breath.

Don't work Violet too hard. . . thanks to her you got that deadline extension. You don't want her to drop dead . . . you may need to offer her services again next time you're in a pinch, LOL.