Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Plan for 4th Grade

I finally sat down today and got a start on what we'll be doing for 4th grade starting in a month or so. Some of the stuff is just picking up where we left off in the Spring. It isn't all done yet. I don't have the master literature list prepared yet. I don't know what we'll do for most of the science units. And other than picking some books, I'm not totally sure how we'll pull off the Native American or mythology studies.

Now keep in mind, many of these are just short units. It won't be all of these subjects every day all year long. And the ones that are year long, we're likely to stop and pick up again several times as interest peaks and wanes. Others we'll try and set aside and never pick up again. Here's what I've got.

Math: Nobel Knights of Knowledge
Miquon Yellow & Purple then Key to series

Language Arts:
Spelling: Sequential Spelling
Literature: chosen from list I'm compiling
Grammar: Editor in Chief
Writing: incorporated into all of it with weekly assignments

History: SOTW, finishing vol 3 then starting vol 4

Geography: continuing with Discovering Geography of North America with Books Kids Love

Native Americans (overlaps literature, history, science and art):
Keepers of the Earth and Keepers of the Night both by Michael J. Caduto

The Arts:
Art: Discovering Great Artists hands on art projects and additional biographies
Music, various composers, biographies and listing to CDs

Mythology:
D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths
D'Aulaires Book of Norse Myths
and books on Roman, Chinese and other mythology, folk tales, fairy tales, legends and more

Science:
Various units using books, kits and materials including
Spy Science and Detective Science both by Jim Weiss
Mythbusters Don't Try This at Home (unless we tell you to)
Fizz, Bubble and Flash! by Anita Brandolini


I ordered the "Keepers" books today. I still want to order the mythology books. I tried to find some good mythology lessons but came up empty handed. I thought we'd do best by buying some quality books and reading them and making up our own. Science still needs a lot of work. Back to the catalogs I go!

5 comments:

MOM #1 said...

Looks like Violet has a very interesting year ahead of her.

I LOVE studying mythology. I thought the D'Aulaires books had teacher's guides or student's guides or something . . . don't they? I don't know, it sure seems like I remember something like that. You may want to do a search at CBD. That' where I get a lot of my homeschooling books.

*SIGH*

Sorry I couldn't be more help. What you have looks good.

Fatcat said...

It looks like a fun year. Maybe you can look at Currclick to fill in the gaps for units. They have a ton of stuff.

Wendy said...

You make me want to go back to 4th grade, when we studied mythology!

I'm excited about our 1st grade yera, and I don't want my son to grow up too fast... BUT when I see the progressively more interesting things done in 3rd, 4th, 5th, and beyond, I am so looking forward to the future.

Have a GREAT year!

The Old Gray Mare said...

For geography, you might want to take a look at Holling C. Holling books (Rainbow Resource pg. 927).
My boys enjoyed these a lot.

It looks like you're going to have a very busy year!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a plan! :o)