Thursday, August 21, 2008

Still here

I haven't posted in a couple of days. I've been busy watching the Olympics and painting our extra room/homeschool room. Remember when Hissy and Missy the cats from next door stayed in there? I had moved so much stuff out before they moved in I decided it would be the perfect time to paint that room. I've been wanting to get it done for 4 years with no cooperation from the peanut gallery. I gave the peanuts an ultimatum to choose a color and promised I'd do all the work. They chose. I painted. Now the Mr. is in the process of redoing part of it that he wasn't happy with. You can guess how happy I am about that.

We are waiting news from his company. Their by far biggest client is up for renewal. They don't think they are getting the work again. This could be really bad.

Meanwhile the local teachers voted not to take the school board's "best and last offer" for a contract. Guaranteed them an average of 5.5% pay increases, health insurance and one less work day a year. The union president said they disagreed with "pretty much a lot of the contract." I'm hoping she doesn't teach English in her day job. They have submitted a counter proposal and authorized a strike. I want to throw up.

The teachers claim they could make a lot more money in nearby school districts. So what is stopping them? Oh yeah, they don't want to commute and like the convenience of working 5 minutes from home. I know people who spend $10-20 per day commuting. The train, the tolls, the gas, the parking, it adds up quickly.Factor that into your contract negotiations teachers and stick it (censored).

Meanwhile, Violet has been enjoying the week. She's been playing with Red a lot and next week is going to Tinkerbell's house one day. She's been reading a lot again, and of course watching all the Olympics she can. I finally got the camp pictures off my camera, so I'll post them soon! That will cheer me up!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew!

Holding you in my prayers! :o)

dariasmama said...

Okay, so....we pray for the job.

We pray you don't knock the mr. in the head over the painting :)

We pray for lightning....whoops, nevermind *wink*

SabrinaT said...

I can't wait to have a house to paint. (OK, that Ian will paint).
That makes me sick about the teachers.
Keeping you in my prayers on the job front!!