Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I'm Done

Remember those 5 presentations I had to prepare for my coworkers to give at an upcoming convention? The ones originally due in final form this Friday that my super awesome manager got extended a week? I sent off my final draft today. Yippee! I spent all day working on that thing. I'm maybe done completely. I know one has been finalized. It is really only the one from today that I worry will come back to me for more work. So tonight I celebrate!

I am off tomorrow. Violet and I are going to a Children's Health Fair at our local community college. We go most years. It is a great place to pick up tons of freebies that we really don't need, but you know how it is, gotta get that pencil! Violet is going to try to visit a bunch of booths on the topic of environmental health and work on her Girl Scout badge of the same name. When we're done, or too tired to go on (the place is huge) we're going to get ice cream from the vending machine in the cafeteria. That reminds me, I'd better make sure I have some singles in my wallet.

Last night I went to a product sales committee meeting at our Girl Scout council office. As always, the meetings are never dull, but this one was a bit more memorable. The Council Shop closed as we were starting, but a few minutes later the young girl who works there stuck her head in the conference room and said she wasn't leaving just yet, tornadoes were spotted between the office and her home town. She was going to wait it out before driving home. Then not long later she came back and said we were now under tornado warnings and the tornado was headed to the office. We gathered up our stuff and headed to the basement.

There we sat in the kitchen which is apparently a storm shelter, good to know. We finished our business while the power went on and off and we all took turns calling home for reports. When we got the all clear we all drove home amid quite the lightning show. I heard tonight on the Weather Channel that were were some touch downs further East. But none by the office or on our paths home.

Who says committees are dull and boring and there's no excitement in Girl Scouts anymore?

Before we took shelter I had purchased a copy of the new Girl Scout Journey for Violet's age level. It is their brand new programming they are rolling out. I looked at it a little last night and I'm thinking of holding off. I'm just not sure how to pull it off with just one girl. There's a lot of leadership and group planning stuff. I go to my training on it next week, so maybe I'll want to tackle it after that. But we've been assured that badges and other awards aren't going anywhere, so I'm leaning towards staying with tradition for now. And who knows, we may have another Juliette her age to work with in the coming year or two. More girls we know have gone Juliette, but they are all at younger levels. I do see a trend among local homeschoolers.

Enough sitting at my computer, I was here all day. Time to go sit on my butt in front of the TV instead! Ah, isn't life grand?

5 comments:

MOM #1 said...

Goodness! Talk about excitement. I'm glad you're all safe and sound and I'm really glad you're done with those projects.

I think you've earned a well-deserved veg out day.

Anonymous said...

Sounds more fun than a jamboree! ;o)

The Old Gray Mare said...

I know you're glad to get those projects sent on their way. Good job!

Sounds like a very eventful meeting! I'm glad all is well.

dariasmama said...

You know, maybe you should quit saying you need excitement in your life :) I'm glad everything is okay.

Wendy said...

Hey, nothing like some non-dangerous (thank goodness!) excitement to spice up your busy days. I'm glad nothing came your way and that all is well.