Saturday, August 16, 2008

Olympic Thoughts

We're a week into the Olympics and we here in the Incredible family are still watching every minute of it that we possibly can. We are super fans and cheer on everyone. Here are some thoughts I've had recently.

Canoe Conspiracy?

What's up with the channels promising us coverage of the canoeing then never showing it? Is it not popular enough with the masses? At least 2 times we've turned on the Olympics when they have advertised canoeing and didn't see a single paddle. I'm a canoe loving mama and want to see my paddlers! I did catch a bit of whitewater kayak and that was awesome! I have never kayaked but want to so much! If I ever get a chance to try it I will be in that kayak so fast it will make your paddle spin!

Dara Torres

Yes, we know she is 41 years old and is much older than the other women swimmers. Get over it. She's beautiful, she's strong, she's fit, she's totally awesome. Let's leave it at that and watch her swim. And why are we making such a big deal out of her alerting the official to the fact that one of the younger swimmers was having swimsuit issues and needed a minute to get ready for the race. It wasn't just good sportsmanship, it was what we moms do. She saw someone who needed help, she helped her. I've told you all my new motto, "I'm 41 years old and I don't have to take that crap anymore." I'm guessing Dara has a similar one of her own. We women in our 40s are comfortable in our skin and don't make excuses. We are 40+ women, hear us roar! Go Dara! Win Gold tonight! (And while you are in Beijing, could you tell Boob Costas that is he really annoying all of us and to stop harping on your age! Thanks!)


Do the Horses Get Medals Too?


Yesterday Violet and I were just having one of those days. Nothing was going smoothly for either of us. It was frustration and disappointment at every turn. Nothing major, just a day full of those little annoying things that add up and start to feel like the whole world is again you.

So when I saw that they were showing equestrian on the Oxygen network, Violet and I plopped down in front of it. Violet was skeptical at first, but soon she was learning all the horses' names and following it closely. Sapphire, an American horse, is her favorite athlete in the games. It was incredibly therapeutic and pulled us out of our funk. Now we want to know, do the horses get their own medals? Or do they have to share with their riders.

Nice Kids

I have to say I've been really impressed with the American athletes I've seen interviewed so far these games. They've seemed really nice and have been good role models. There hasn't been one that I've wanted to slap upside the head and say "get over yourself" to.

The women's marathon is on, I've got to get back to my seat to follow the action!

4 comments:

The Old Gray Mare said...

We've also got a bad case of Olympic fever.

I've not seen any canoeing or kayaking. We did watch some of the equestrian competition, and while I liked it, the guys didn't. I lost out to baseball on that one.

We saw something about archery, but we've never caught them showing it.

I agree that the young athletes seem to be handling themselves very well. We need to be proud of them.

I also agree that Dara Torres is awesome! I thought it was odd that the commentators were making such a big deal over her talking with the younger athletes while they were awaiting their turn in the pool.

Ami said...

Did you know that Rebecca Ward, the Bronze medalist in Women's Sabre fencing was homeschooled?

I've known her mom for a long time.
Being gracious runs in their family.
Becca came to visit my girl scout troop three years ago and was just so nice to all my girls. You should have heard the celebrating last weekend when we heard at our overnighter that she had won a medal.

Boob Costas? Ha. Wonder where you picked that up?

SabrinaT said...

We are all watching with the Olympic fever! Phelps is AMAZING! can you believe the school told his mother to medicate him for ADHD. She said Nope, and put him in swimming to help burn off the energy. YEAH MOMMA PHELPS!

Wendy said...

Olympics? Wha-aaa? I saw something shiny and didn't even realize they were on! I'm a Winter Olympics fan myself. :)

Enjoy!