Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Midway Through the Week

We've survived to Wednesday, always a good sign. We had no events, no meetings, no nothing to go to this week. It has been bliss. Violet has been enjoying life on the simpler side. I'd tried to set something up for the Juliettes this week. After several e-mails and long silences, and "I'll get back to you soon", I finally heard from the very nice lady yesterday late afternoon. Could we come to her event on Thursday or Friday? Um, no. Homeschoolers don't organize themselves that quickly. We need at minimum a week to plan anything that involves more than one family. I politely let her know I passed her event information on to the other families and we'd all try to make it at the times that would work for us. She was really nice, just didn't really "get" homeschoolers I think. Well, who does until they are one? One family was going to stop by the event, the rest of us just shrugged and said probably not. Did I mention that us coming to the event was her idea? I had just asked if she could talk to the kids about her not-for-profit organization. She's nice, it just didn't work out. Despite my rambling paragraph, there really are no grudges about it. And I am usually the Queen of Grudges.

Tomorrow is Groundhog Day. A very big deal in our neck of the woods (and what the above mentioned event was related to). A nearby town (where Mr. I has his office) is where the movie Groundhog Day was filmed. We've all adopted the holiday as our favorite. Last year the blizzard struck and Woodstock Willie, our local groundhog, couldn't make it out of his hole and to the festivities (or more likely he didn't bother because he knew with 3 feet of snow on the streets, no one was going to make it to see him unless they went on a dog sled and I doubt Willie is a fan of dogs). A year without Willie was like a year with Santa Claus. Just wrong.

After the mild winter we've had so far if that groundhog ends up predicting 6 more weeks of winter, I may strangle him. We've had the best, snow and ice free winter of my life (well, we were out of town during the one big snow. I loved that we missed it. Violet is miffed.) I don't want to start now with winter.

Anyone going to watch the Puppy Bowl this Sunday on Animal Planet? It is Violet's favorite sporting event of the year.

She's got to get going on her Valentine's. She bought some prepackaged Valentines but wants to enhance them and make them semi-homemade. She's also going to make Rice Krispie treats and we'll try topping them with sprinkles. If you have any advice on that, I'd love to hear it. I've only made Rice Krispie treats once before in my life. We never had them growing up. I remember once in high school I was invited to a party and asked to bring them. I had to ask the hostess for something else because we didn't make them at our house (you'd think after being my best friend for 12 plus years maybe it would have dawned on her that she'd never had them at my house, at her house they made them all the time. Instead she got mad. Sorry. I had no clue how to make them and my parents spent most of the late 70s and early 80s in a health food kick. If she'd asked for carob brownies I could have delivered.)

I suppose I should have titled this post "the one where Freakmom rambles on and confesses strange things".

Work isn't going bad this week. I had a big deadline but had most of it taken care of early and just had to tie up loose ends. I'm trying to lay low and enjoy the break.

Multiplication caused some tears Monday. And division did the same yesterday. Finally I told Violet that it was okay not to finish a whole math lesson in one day. That helped. If she would learn her math facts, she wouldn't have these problems. She gets how to multiply and divide, she just can't remember the times tables. Mr. I says he never learned his either.

Do you ever go to type a word, are thinking it, and a totally different word appears on the screen? Like "that" instead of "sort"? Always the same number of letters. Often not very close to the original word. No? Okay, maybe I am having a stroke.

So to summarize: no event and trying not to burn the bridges with the nice lady, Woodstock Willie had better have a good prediction, attempting to help Violet make Rice Krispie treats, and I may be having a stroke.

I think I'll go get some wine while I can still use a corkscrew. Priorities, you know.

2 comments:

Fatcat said...

I hope it's not a stroke. I don't have the typing thing (thank goodness, because it would be really bad in my profession!) but I do have this word finding issue that's funny. I'll say a word that starts with the same letter but means something totally different. Apparently my brain is arranged alphabetically. :-P

And also when I'm singing along with the radio, I get pronouns confused. The kids laugh at me a lot.

Mel said...

The groundhog thing sounds fun. That is one of my favorite movies.
Growing up I never liked rice krispy treats mainly because they weren't chocolate and therefore not worth my time. I've never made them as an adult and probably won't because B doesn't like things that are hard to chew.
Never seen the puppy bowl, might have to check it out since we don't do football in this house.