Saturday, January 28, 2012

Where in the world was Freakmom?

Sorry for my absence. I took what was left of my bonus from last summer and we went on a "do over" vacation. We were gone a week. No one got sick. Didn't even throw up once! In seriousness, we had a great time. We were delayed a day getting home due to bad weather in southern and central Illinois. (You have to be sure to say "Central Illinois" around mid-state, they get testy around Peoria if you call them "downstate." Although when you live nearly on the Wisconsin border, everything is downstate.)

We've been back since Monday, but I've been busy with catching up, laundry, cleaning up, paying bills, all that sort of thing. I am working on catching up on reading all your blogs too. I am enjoying hearing everything I missed.

We did decide to go with Teaching Textbooks. Violet placed into Pre-Algebra and I think that is a good fit for her. We ordered it and it came within 2 days! I couldn't believe it. She's done 2 lessons so far and really likes it. I like that we can go in to the parent account and delete a lesson or problems. If she isn't happy with her grade, she can have a do over. I'm not concerned about her grade, I just want her to learn the material. But she wants to get good scores. It is a nice feature for her.

Her Cadette group has met 2 weeks at the other mom's house. All the Cadettes are really enjoying being away from that crazy co-op atmosphere. They are all so much more relaxed. I went to the last meeting. Violet had been regretting telling me I could get involved, she liked the meeting when I wasn't there. But at the end of the meeting something was said about us moms being there, so the other mom suggested she and I go in the other room and leave them in the kitchen to discuss whatever it was. The girls loved their private time. So it is now going to be a regular feature of the meetings. An hour of meeting and badge work, then the other mom and I will have coffee and chat in the other room and let them play games, finish up their crafts, talk, whatever. All parties involved are really happy with that plan.

I've been doing good so far in 2012 at not letting my job take control of my life. I've not been doing so good at exercising. There are only so many hours in the day. I can only do so much. But today, Mr. I. vacuumed and Violet dusted while I was working. Yippee!

What more could a Freakmom want?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You totally deserved the do-over vacation. Good idea! Other than the delay getting home, I hope it was a much, much better time than your last vacation. :)

Ah, Teaching Textbooks. I had my son start Math 3 while he was with his dad. No idea how well it's worked, because his dad neglected to send me the workbook and CD they were currently using (yeesh). But now they are finally here, so my son can get back into that.

Overall, I liked what I saw on the site when I ordered the program and had it sent to my son and his dad. Now that I have it in my hands, I'm very curious to see it for myself when my son sits down to do his work tomorrow.

It sounds like Girl Scouts is going well. Sometimes, I miss being in it. One of these days, I might get involved as a leader, since I bridged to Adult back in... oh my gosh, 1993!

Hm, maybe 2012 will be all about bringing balance into our lives. Less work and more "me" time.

Fatcat said...

I'm so glad you got to do a do-over and have fun this time!

I'm glad you like teaching textbooks. It's working out around here too.

MOM #1 said...

I'm so glad you and Violet srd enjoying Teaching Textbooks. It was a REAL hit around here.