Friday, February 24, 2012

8th Grade History

We're going to be finishing up "A History of US" by Joy Hakim, which we loved, loved, loved. So next year, we'll need to find something new. Anyone have any recommendations?

I think we'll end up using the Usborne Encyclopedia of World History and just searching the library for additional books on areas that spark an interest. But I'd rather find a real program that we can use instead. I know me, and if we use the "figure it out as we go" plan I'll have great intentions but not so good follow up. So all history suggestions will be considered.

In other news, I'm down to a lingering cough. Violet is almost over the cold too. She did make it to Cadettes yesterday. Tomorrow night a friend is a having a birthday dinner at her house, so she'll get to go to that too. Mr. Incredible's cough started yesterday. You knew it would happen, didn't you? I bet there was even a pool going on when he'd get sick.

Today I took some time to clean the house, but probably not enough. My father-in-law is staying with us tonight. I wanted to at least try to get the cold germs out of here. I hope he doesn't get it.

I'm off to the office tomorrow. I got to see a preview of our ad for an upcoming trade show brochure. Guess what? My name and contact info is included in the ad! I've never been in one our ads before. It is for Michigan where I do a lot of speaking. Funny, I've worked in our industry in Illinois for almost 17 years and I'm better known in Michigan than here. I find that hilarious. I spent a lot of years hibernating and coasting along, then when I was ready to emerge again, they needed someone to join in the Michigan marketing. Right place at the right time I guess.

Have a great weekend everyone!

4 comments:

Fatcat said...

The cold has arrived here in Kentucky. My oldest son is coughing, coughing, coughing. He's staying in his room and using a lot of hand sanitizer in the hopes that the rest of us won't get it.

I'm glad you all are feeling better though.

Hey, you're famous! :-)

Ami said...

There WAS a pool, and I won. Send me 2 thousand dollars immediately.

Glad you're feeling better.

MOM #1 said...

I've been spraying Lysol at my computer screen hoping I don't catch that cold. So far so good!

I'm glad you and Violet are feeling better. Hugs and well wishes to Mr. I.

Mel said...

We used K12 American History last year which used those Joy Hakim books but B found them very cumbersome and boring. So for the second half of US History this year I am just using various things like the history included in our Time4Learning account (which we only subscribe to now for the math), books, Moving Beyond the Page units, Brainpop, and whatever comes along. My goal is to get up to modern times by the end of the summer and next year only focus on world geography and culstures and then do world history more in depth for 9th grade. We'll see though.