Thursday, December 29, 2011

Two days in a row

Oh yes, Violet and I both exercised again today. We're on a roll. We'll be taking tomorrow off though, it is the day we're taking my folk's tree down. But I'm eyeballing Saturday for another workout.

The most exciting thing I did today was help Violet finish up her Illinois Interest Project (Girl Scout speak for "badge"). It was a Council's Own from one of our sister legacy councils. I'd post a link to the requirements, but they aren't available online anymore. I asked at Council if the badge was still available and they said "oh yes, you can get the requirements and the badge in one of the council shops." Which I did.

Most of the requirements we had done (unintentionally) when we were on our trip to Springfield last summer. Between the reading we did prior to the trip and all museums and sites we visited there, she'd done about half of it. So this week we checked out some books on Illinois from the library and between them and the trusty internet we learned some cool stuff, including:

1. Coal mining is one of the top industries in Illinois. I had no idea and I've lived here 45 years. Granted I live in the tippy top of the state and the coal mining takes place in the lower half. I would have guessed farming since that is what is more dominate here. (Yes, it is hard to believe I've lived here 45 years when I am only 32 years old!)

2. The first state capital was Kaskaskia, which has been wiped out by flooding. A new Kaskaskia Island is now what is left and is only accessible from Missouri! There had been one other capital before Springfield (our current capital).

And some other stuff. But I thought those were the most interesting.

The Girl Scout cookie sale begins Tuesday, so of course someone else from my office has already posted her daughter's cookie order form. A new one this year. I think there will be 3 girls selling. Well, fewer cookies for me to schlep in and collect money for. Violet's angle again this year is that she can donate cookies to the soldiers and the food pantry. That was popular last year. It just would be nice if parents would pay attention to the sale dates and follow them. Every year someone pre-posts a form. It is a good way to learn about how the world isn't fair.

3 comments:

Ami said...

Every time I saw someone selling early, I called council and complained. It's really NOT okay to do that, do you know the mom who's doing it?

As for exercise. Hm. I think I remember doing that before. Doesn't it involve movement?

MOM #1 said...

I'm so proud of y'all for exercising twice in a row! Now I feel EXTRA fat and lazy, LOL.

I don't know anything about Girl Scouts, so I'll just agree with Ami on that one.

Gail said...

Hey, we were talking about the state capitals of Illinois just the other day! But I don't think it was Kaskaskia we were discussing (and I know it wasn't Springfield). Hmm, now this is going to bother me. It's sort of like a teaser there in the middle of your blog, you know?

I tried to get back in the swing of exercising last week, but I only made it one day in a row.