Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Eve

I meant to write this post yesterday, but between family and stuff around the house I never got to it. But since all my blog buddies are moms too, I knew you'd understand.

I spent a big part of the day doing stuff like laundry and paying bills. Getting all that stuff out of the way. I also did some planning for Girl Scouts. Just general ideas. The girls are getting older so I like them to do most of the details. We do some of our stuff with 2 younger girls, they are 9 and 10, so the crafts we do with them I tend to have prepared and ready to go. But when it is Violet and her girlfriend Butterfly, they are perfectly capable (and prefer to) come up with their own projects.

We made home made pizza for dinner. We just bought pre-made crusts. That was fine with me. Today we have black-eyed pea dip and lasagne planned, so a little less cooking was fine with me. Remember my black-eyed pea dip? It is still delicious and the only way I'll eat those nasty tasting black-eyed peas on New Year's Day.

I also spent time reading my book, "Somebody Owes Me Money," by Donald E. Westlake. The evening came up on us fast since Dick Clark started so early. We had it on and watched it on and off. I don't know many of the new artists, but enjoyed some of the old clips. We were also pointing out which of the artists we'd seen in concert. There weren't many, but some between the two of us. Mr. I. always likes to tease me about Rick Springfield. I saw him twice when I was in high school during his heyday. It pays off to have a best friend with an older brother who is gay. He was quite happy to drive his little sister and her friends to see Rick Springfield. I'm guessing not as many macho jock football player older brothers would have done that. And then screamed along beside us.

Violet passed on watching the ball drop but said she did stay up until midnight reading in her room. Goofy kid.

One other thing I did last night during Dick Clark was learn something new in knitting: how to increase and decrease stitches. I started a caterpillar toy from the Kids Knitting book and I needed to know how to increase and decrease for it. Yes, it was a wild and crazy night here at the Freak House.

Hope you all have a wonderful 2012! I have a little time until I have to make the black-eyed pea dip and get me some good luck for the new year. I think I'll work on the caterpillar. I'll post a photo when I finish it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with Violet - spent the last half-hour up until midnight reading in my room too. :D

Happy New Year!

Ami said...

Happy Happy New Year!

Hope 2012 is awesome for you and yours... and I went to bed about five minutes before midnight. Fell asleep to the sound of fireworks.

MOM #1 said...

Mom #2 and I watched "Water for Elephants" last night and then sat on the back porch and watched all of our law-busting neighbors do fireworks. Big fun!