Saturday, December 24, 2011

Potato soup recipe

Here is my homemade potato soup recipe that I am going to make tonight. It is originally from the Vegetarian Times website, but I have made a few changes over the years.

Potato Soup

4 T unsalted butter
1 cup finely chopped onion
4 cups vegetable broth
3 cups peeled and diced white potatoes
1 cup peeled and sliced carrots
1/2 t salt
2-1/2 T all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups milk
1/2 t dried sage
1/2 t black pepper

1. In large saucepan, melt 2 Tbs. butter over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, until softened, 7 minutes. Add broth, potatoes, carrots and salt. Increase heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer potatoes and carrots gently, partially covered, until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove pan from heat.

2. Meanwhile, in small saucepan, melt remaining 2 Tbs. butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Slowly stir in milk and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.

3. In batches, transfer some of the potatoes to a blender and puree. I separate out the carrots when doing this, since otherwise the soup turns out looking pink.

4. Combine pureed potatoes, carrots, broth and cream sauce and heat through. Serve warm with grated cheese on top (optional). Supposedly it makes 6 servings.

It is a time consuming and labor intensive soup, but it is really good. I have no idea if the leftovers warm up well or not. We've never had any left over.

4 comments:

Ami said...

Okay, I'm sorry. I am. But I wasn't wearing my reading glasses, so when you said 'in batches' I thought you said, 'so, bitches'.

I have a potato soup recipe that's a lot easier. And we've never had any leftover, either.

MOM #1 said...

Well, I just made White Chocolate Dream Drops off a recipe Jenifer from Vancouver posted on her blog, and now I have to make this. You great ladies of Blog Land are determined to make me big and fat this Christmas, LOL.

That sounds delicious. I'm going to try it next week. Let you know how it goes.

SabrinaT said...

OH, that sounds yummy!! Potatos here are &17 for a 5 lb bag, so this may be a wonderful option...

Merry Christmas, enjoy your family time!!!

Fatcat said...

My brother made an amazing potato soup tonight for Christmas Eve.

I'm going to have to start making it too.


:-)