Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas letters, doing nothing, and fun books

First of all, I do want to clarify something. I don't think that all Christmas cards require a personal note or letter. I just got tired of writing them, then getting back ones which were obviously sent after mine was received with nothing in it. They don't have to say something, but once in a while, especially in response to a letter, it would be nice.

Mr. I. has a good story about this too. About 5 or 6 years ago he received a Christmas card signed "Love, Bob and Alice", Bob had been his best friend since way back and was in our wedding. Mr. I and Bob had lost touch as often happens when we start out on our careers and families. Mr. I. was so excited. There was no contact information in it except the return address. Mr. I. wrote Bob a long letter, catching him up on what he'd been doing, about Violet, etc. Asked questions (like "who the heck is Alice?" but phrased nicer.) He gave Bob his e-mail and phone numbers. They were both working downtown (or last we knew Bob had been) so he suggested maybe they could meet up after work or for lunch sometime. No response. The next Christmas another card arrives, "Love Bob and Alice." Still no information, no other contact, nothing. They come every year. Mr. I. has quit sending cards back and trying to contact him. He'd love to be in touch with Bob again. But what more can you do?

So Christmas cards aren't exactly our favorite part of the season.

Violet and I have been busy doing absolutely nothing the last couple of days. I caught up with sewing badges and fun patches on her Girl Scout sash and her tote bag (there are so much fun patches, she keeps all but a very few on a tote bag instead of the formal sash). We've cleaned the house (more or less, I'm not a good housekeeper even with time on my hands). We went to the library and the grocery store. In short, we've been goofing off and having a blast. We are relaxed.

I've been reading just for fun books. I'm working now on comic crime novels by one of my absolute favorite mystery writers, Donald E. Westlake. They are just plain fun. Not heavy like many mysteries. Nothing that would give you nightmares. I have been in the mood for light and fluffy, but not romance. I don't read romance. I used to. But it is funny, once I started dating Mr. I. I lost interest in the genre. Sounds corny, doesn't it? And not much like me! LOL But it is true.

Anyway, the novels I've been reading were written in the 1960's. It is so much fun to be reading along, the hero being chased by the bad guys and think, "why doesn't he use his cell phone to call 911?!" And he's out of cash, can't he use his debit card or stop by an ATM? He wants to know who this person is chasing him? Google him!? I guess because so much of the books still feel current it is easy to get into them and forget that a lot has changed. A mark of a good author, I think.

I'll go back to reading classics again soon enough. But right now my brain was ready for a break. And Westlake fits the bill perfectly!

5 comments:

Gail said...

Thinking of the lack of notes in Christmas cards, this year we got one of those photocards from someone -- pictures of the entire family, and their name printed on it, and I have NO IDEA WHO THEY ARE. When older dd asked I said, "For all I know these people picked our name at random out of the phone book and sent us a card just to mess with our minds." She thought this was hilarious, and asked if we could do that with one of OUR Christmas cards.

We eventually figured out who it was -- Rick eventually came home (he travels) and said he knew them. But, sheesh, could people at least give a hint, a quick line about "looking forward to another year of working together" or something? What's the point of sending a card that's so impersonal?

Anyway, hope your holiday continues in a relaxed manner. Enjoy!

MOM #1 said...

I'm laughing so hard at Gina's comment, because that has happened to us too. People are INSANE!

I'm glad you are relaxing. Don't visit me for Christmas, you know I live you, but I just might put you to work. ;-). I've got a 40 point inspection to conduct in the morning.

Anonymous said...

For me, I grew up in a family where they just wrote "Love X and X" in the card. We didn't do thank-you notes ever, because usually we just thanked the people then and there.

On the flip side, my husband's mom apparently expects notes to specific people in cards and had her kids write thank-you notes. Augh!

Can I just call the whole thing off? :D

Mother Mayhem said...

Merry Christmas

Love, Cap'n Chaos, Mother Mayhem, Sweetums and CAT.

TeeHee :o)

Ami said...

I only sent out cards to the people my hubby thought they should go to. With 'Love, Eric, Susan, Matt and Alyssa'

No letter. If they want to know what's going on in our lives, they'd probably ask. :)

And I love the 'i spy' idea you left me, I am adapting it. 2 of every item. Going to set them out at one of our 'stations' and then at the next station, a few will be missing. And the kids have to figure out which ones are gone.

If you have more ideas, send them my way!!

:)