Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas movies and books

Here's what I've been watching/reading for the season:

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - my all time favorite Christmas movie. Mr. I., his brother and I watched it one of the first years we were married. It was on HBO or something. We'd gone to their new stepmother's family's Christmas celebration and it was WAAAAAAY over the top. Well, to us it was. To them it was perfect, what they did every year. We didn't fit in. To say the family didn't blend easily when their dad and step mom got married is an understatement. So later that night, back at their dad's house, brother-in-law flips on the TV and finds Christmas Vacation on a pay channel they had. We watched, we laughed, it was the best part of that Christmas. Mr. I and I have watched it nearly every Christmas since. Violet saw it for the first time this year. There were some words and scenes in it that maybe we weren't ready for her to see. Oops.

Elf - That one was Violet appropriate! I'd never seen it before. What a fun movie. After it was over I made Mr. I look up what movie I remembered Betty Garrett singing "Baby, It's Cold Outside" in (the song is in Elf too). I was guessing it was On the Town and she sang it with Frank Sinatra. I was wrong, it was Neptune's Daughter and she sang it with Red Skelton. Betty Garrett is one of my all time favorites. Did you know she played Laverne's father's girlfriend in Laverne and Shirley? Just a little trivia for your Christmas night. If you ask me Ann Miller takes second place to Betty Garrett any day.

I can't stand A Christmas Story. Here's the story. Once in college hanging out with friends they decided to watch the movie on VHS. Fine. Then they decided to watch it again. And then started it again! It wasn't particularly funny the first time and after 3 times I grew to despise it. I refuse to watch it now.

Now as a mature adult I don't know why I didn't leave and go back to my apartment. I didn't have to stay. I had a car. "I'm out of here." I could have said it. I can't remember why I didn't. I guess because I was 19.

I don't care for many of the Christmas TV specials. I particularly hate Rudolph. I mean, come on. The reindeer make fun of him when he looks funny and is different. But then he does something heroic and they all want to be his buddy. Get lost reindeer, you had your chance. Stupid snooty reindeer think they are so hot because their popular. Stop beating up misfit reindeer in the bathroom and stealing their lunch money you big bullies!!!

I may have unresolved issues. On to books.

I read the original Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens for the first time this year. I had trouble following along because I kept falling asleep. I really wanted to like it better than the various adaptations I've seen. But I didn't see much difference. I think I need to try it again next year. I did read it when I was still working and was really busy. I think that was the real reason for falling asleep.

The last 2 days I've spent reading Life and Adventures of Santa Claus by L. Frank Baum (author of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz). I've really enjoyed this. Violet and I read it aloud last year and liked it (get the 2003 version illustrated by Michael Hague if you are reading it with kids, not the Kindle version - the illustrations are wonderful.) It tells the story of how Neclaus came to be Santa Claus. Definitely one of Baum's best work. Think mythology meets Christmas.

I want to read the sequel A Kidnapped Santa Claus next.

Finally, a plug for my all time favorite Christmas book, The Cat Who Came for Christmas by Cleveland Amory. It is the true story of how Mr. Amory was adopted by a cat on Christmas Eve. This is an adult book, preread it before reading with kids to make sure it is a good fit. Mr. Amory is an animal right's activist and does do and say things that some would classify as radical. He is also a self-proclaimed curmudgeon. It is a great book, just don't snuggle in with your 6 year old and start reading it out loud.

Hope your Christmas movie and book picks have been magical.

3 comments:

Mel said...

We love Christmas Vacation (B saw it for 1st time this year too), and Elf which we watch multiple times. But unlike you I adore A Christmas Story so that is a staple. So are Home Alone, Edward Scissorhands, Fred Claus, Nightmare Before Christmas, It's A Wonderful Life, and The Grinch Jim Carey version.

Fatcat said...

We love the Home Alone movies, The Santa Clause and While You Were Sleeping. I thought about watching National Lampoon, but I wasn't sure if they were ready for it, couldn't remember if there were questionable scenes or not.

Love Elf!

MOM #1 said...

Oh, I love Elf, It's a Wonderful Life, Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, and the Santa Clause movies. I also hate A Christmas Story, but Mom #2 loves it so we watch it every year.