Thursday, December 15, 2011

more on the hotel

To answer Wendy's question, the hotel wasn't trying to be Korean, just modern I think. The desk and fixtures and chairs were all modern looking too. I think wood plank floors would have been much nicer, it wouldn't have been slippery for one thing. And I like wood. (That sounds bad. I like wood furnishing and as a building material. I grew up in a third generation carpentry family. Everything was wood. In fact, every funeral for a male family member I've ever been to had the same theme: "Jesus was a carpenter". It writes itself each time.)

And I'm really sorry that I've disappointed Mental. I wished I had a camera with me. I never take one on business trips, because usually, what's the point? My phone is old and has no texting or data plan, so even if it can take photos (which I haven't bothered to figure out), I have no way to get them off without big fees. My work computer doesn't even have a camera, like my Mac does. Browsing the hotel's website I didn't see any pictures of rooms. Not surprising. The address given on their website doesn't get you to the hotel either. It takes you to a mail drop box. Not too helpful when you are checking in (as we and many others informed the poor desk staff who have absolutely no control over it.)

In the lobby was something else I would have loved to photograph: a gingerbread house competition. There were about 20 gingerbread houses that had been made by staff members. Guests were invited to vote for one. I voted for the Hello Kitty themed one. I guess I really should start taking a camera with me. Plus I could covertly photograph the guy who always goes who looks just like my next door neighbor. But that would be creepy and possibly result in a restraining order. I try to avoid those.

Well, if I go back to the hotel again, I'll take a camera. In the meantime, I did find a site with a photo of the bathrooms, except the shower head pictured was on the ceiling in my room (the photo is sideways and I don't know how to change that without risking copyright infringement): Photos of Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center, East Lansing
This photo of Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center is courtesy of TripAdvisor

Here's another view from the same site. The shower head you can see in the last photo is straight above the upper left hand corner: Photos of Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center, East Lansing
This photo of Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center is courtesy of TripAdvisor

Thanks, TripAdvisor!

3 comments:

Mel said...

That is about the size and style of the cruise ship cabin bathroom I experienced a few years back...imagine sharing that with two other females...it was hell. LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, that's more modern than Korean. But so weird, because if the floor doesn't slant down enough, you're stuck doing... Well, what you were doing!

MOM #1 said...

I'm too lazy to comment twice, so just FYI this will do for your last two posts, LOL.

I like trout, but I don't like peas, so that would have been a NO for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

When we travel, we always stay in a camper or cabin or some other rustic facilities, so I'm sure I would have had NO IDEA what to do with that strange and unusual shower. I'm sure I would have just ended up mopping the floor with the towels, just like you did.

We're READY for Christmas over here. Do you need some decorating done? I'll be on the first thing smoking to help out. I heart Christmas decorations.