Monday, January 6, 2014

Minus Twenty

That was the air temperature when I got up this morning. At 1:30 in the afternoon it has warmed to a balmy minus fifteen.  Wind chills between 40 and 50 below.  We put towels in the window sills and in front of the doors to help keep out the cold.  The thermometer on my alarm clock in our bedroom was reading 53 earlier.  The room does have high ceilings and a big window.  But still.  Gosh that's cold.  We've been keeping our thermostat at 68.  I dread seeing the heating bill when it comes.

The mail is still being delivered, but garbage pickup was suspended.  Schools have already started announcing that they will be closed tomorrow too.  Violet has an orthodontist appointment in the morning.  As far as I know he won't be closing.  And she has art class tomorrow evening.  Although it is supposed to warm up to around zero tomorrow, I'm really hoping the art studio stays closed tomorrow like it is today.

I got back on the treadmill today.  I did 1.5 miles (instead of 3) with a high speed of 3.0 (instead of 3.7).  Figured I shouldn't try to push it.  Violet is walking now, but she hasn't been sick so she's doing her full workout.  She is dreading school starting and so far hasn't done much today.  I can't blame her.  First day back after holiday break and other than a few homeschoolers no one studying today. 


1 comment:

Gail said...

We're not quite as cold, and have slightly less cold. As a matter of fact, today is supposed to get up to 25F. So we had the subzero just long enough for everyone to throw boiling water out the back door, and try to freeze soap bubbles.