Friday, January 24, 2014

Banking

More stress....gone!  I haven't been happy with our bank for a while, (honestly, we're talking years here) but it is such a pain in the ass to switch banks.  You've got to get all the direct debits and credits switched over, new signature cards signed, new checks ordered, wait for all the checks to clear, close out the old account, deal with the "please don't leave us we'll make it better" bull (if you had done it in the first place, I wouldn't have been unhappy here).

Today I closed the old accounts, and deposited the remainder of the money in our new accounts.  The process has taken almost exactly two months.  The main delay was making sure the direct debits were debiting from the new account. 

I am so thrilled with our new bank.  They are so nice.  They have no minimum balances, no fees, they even give us free checks!  They remember us.  Mr. Incredible's business account is with them too.  And it isn't like we're a big account, that was the problem with the old account: I couldn't feel secure that I could keep their required minimums at all times to avoid their fees.  The old bank wouldn't even talk to Mr. I when he went in there about a business account with no money to flash around.  He would have spent all the meager start up money we had on their fees!  New bank gave him a totally free, no minimum balance business account with debit and credit cards both! 

I probably shouldn't let this sort of thing stress me out, but it does.  And it took a lot of time.  I did a happy dance when I got home today and it was all done!

Now if only I had better health insurance options.  That's still stressful.  Maybe something will change with that.  Until then, I'll look at my checkbook and think happy thoughts about banks and pretend insurance and the "Affordable" Care Act doesn't exist.

No comments: