Thursday, January 23, 2014

Finishing Early

Today Violet discovered that she could pretty much finish school for the week today (Thursday) and have Friday off.  I've mentioned it to her in the past, but I think she's always been too far behind in her weekly schedule that it didn't seem possible.  Today was department meetings day, which meant I was on the phone much of the day.  When I finally got off from meeting number one, she showed me her work and was pretty much done for the day.  I suggested if she wanted she could do Friday's, and by the time I was done with meeting number two, she was done.  She has some free writing and literature to read tomorrow.  Both easy and fun.  I think we've finally got a good mix of the right amount of work on the list, and the right work. She's learning, enjoying it, and neither of us are stressing.

Cookie order taking ended yesterday, so today I got the Juliette's orders.  It is only Violet and a pair of sisters selling.  I'll have to pick up just 16 cases of cookies.  But because of the stupid "full case" rule, we'll have another 31 boxes of cookies to find homes for.  I'll offer them up a few places, then see if I can get a troop to take them and sell them at a booth sale.  Independently registered girls aren't allowed to do booth sales except if they join a troop.  So finding a home for the extra cookies just becomes another step for the volunteer to have to do 

I had a dream last night that I was wrapping up cookie sales and Council presented me with like 20 other girls' order forms to include.  It wasn't the first bad dream I've had about cookie sales over the years.  It definitely means cookies stress me out way too much.  I am not volunteering next year.  I'm not even going to register as a Girl Scout.  I'm so tired of Council's treatment of volunteers and their policies.  I'm done.  I'll register Violet.  If she wants to sell again she can (this year she sold 12 boxes, enough for a patch - a friend is buying 5 boxes to be shipped to the soldiers, and we bought the rest for us).  But I'm done.  I have other things I want to spend my time on.  And other things to spend $15 on besides registration fees for the privilege of being minion to Council staff. 

It feels liberating to be done.




1 comment:

Ami said...

What's funny is that GSUSA has sent out surveys and 'engagement' questions. I have, and I know others have, been quite clear in what they need to do/fix/change.

But the spoiled and self absorbed yuppie pukes who took over the original good organization and turned it into bullshit?

they don't care...

And you can quote me.

I'm glad you're done!! YAY you!