Friday, April 1, 2011

Too bad

Violet has had a best friend since they were both 4. The friend goes to public school, but since she lives right across the street, they'd play together on weekends, summers, school breaks. Until this year. The last year or two they'd gotten together less because the friend was always busy with homework during the school year. But she'd still be available during breaks.

This year Violet has gotten together with her once all school year. And that was when her mom and I arranged for her to come with us to a Girl Scout fall fest event. The friend belongs to a public school troop. Violet called her several times since, including a few times over Christmas break. The friend was free long enough to come over to our house with a Christmas present for Violet but couldn't stay. She didn't call back when Violet left messages. Today was the last day of spring break and Violet never heard a word from her.

Violet didn't call her this week. I left it up to her. Because frankly, after being told no so many times or not having calls returned, you really stop wanting to put yourself out there.

Mr. Incredible and I can only guess that the friend feels she's too grown up for Violet. They are both in 6th grade, but let's face it, public school middle school is a lot different than homeschool. Violet is young for 6th grade when compared to public school students, and that is one of our favorite things about homeschooling. She has no problem getting along with another homeschool girl who is also 6th grade age.

I wish I saw the friend's mom more. But she works long hours and when she's home she's busy with the kids' activities and school. I'd like to casually ask if there is a problem. In the north, you don't see your neighbors all winter long. Maybe this spring I'll see her out and see if she says anything.

Meanwhile, I've been trying to get Violet more involved with other activities and meeting new kids. It has been working. Violet's Girl Scout friends all seem to really like her and she gets along well at her new book club. But still it is too bad about her old friend.

4 comments:

Fatcat said...

I hate when things like that happen. It's happened to us before too. Sometimes I think the mom (at least me) takes it worse than the kids.

Mother Mayhem said...

Ouch.

Mel said...

Oh, that makes my heart break. Sniff. We've had similar issues happen too. It sucks.

Ami said...

"let's face it, public school middle school is a lot different than homeschool"

Oh man. Yes yes yes.
One of the things in my job that drives me insane is how fast the kids grow up.

Or rather, become worldly without having achieved the necessary emotional growth to handle it all.

One more reason among millions to homeschool. To allow children to grow properly.