Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Yoga and Yogurt

A few months ago our Girl Scout service unit had an event called yoga and yogurt. It was a yoga class, followed by frozen yogurt. Violet and I thought it sounded like fun. So we asked our homeschool Girl Scout friends if they wanted to go. No one did (or in one case, weren't available). So we asked friend across the street, not available. Violet was bummed (this was right around the time the friend started distancing herself). She really didn't want to go with just boring old mom. Who can blame her? So we didn't sign up.

I'm on a friendly basis with the volunteer who plans the events. I was telling her we weren't going but had kind of wanted to. She said why don't you order the patches and do it on your own. (Well, first she said, sign up anyway, you'll know people there. Sure, I would, but Violet likely wouldn't.) She showed me the patch, and it was really, really cute. Normally I would say, if you don't go to the event, you don't get the patch, but.... The timing was such that I really hated to disappoint Violet again. Sure, disappointment is a part of life, but gosh, she was getting a lot of it at the time. Not letting your kid be disappointed all the time, is a part of a mom's job. I ordered us the patches.

Today, we finally did our yoga and yogurt day. We'd gotten a yoga DVD from the library and bought some frozen yogurt. We did the yoga routine to the best of our abilities. And enjoyed our yogurt. Tomorrow I'll sew our patches on. (We each have a canvas tote bag for our fun patches, Violet is on her third bag - what can I say, we love patches.) The patch is of a cow in the lotus position. Really cute. We won't make a habit out of getting the patches and doing our own, but once in a while bending the rules is okay.

2 comments:

Ami said...

I think you need to post a picture of the patch.
:)

Mel said...

I was just going to say the same thing, I want a photo! That sounds like a really fun and cute thing to do.