Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Made it

March 31st is the biggest deadline of the year for my department. It is huge. It makes April 15th look like a day in the park. Well, maybe not quite, but it is a lot of work. I don't work on the stuff that's due. My role the last few years has been to take care of everything else. So I have been very busy too. I had 2 projects with 30th deadlines and one with the 31st. Plus client questions and crises.

Last night I was working until 10 pm, after having worked most of the day and cancelling most school subjects. I started again at 7 this morning. By noon today I'd already put in 25 hours this week, which is supposed to be my weekly total. I am done with the big projects. Things seem to be quiet (knock on wood, at least 3 times in the last 2 days I thought I was out of the woods only to have more emergency work fly in at me). I think I'm done. I still have to work the rest of the week, but maybe, just maybe, it won't be as frantically high pressure as it has been. At least not until the next time we have big deadlines.

I don't enjoy these frenzied rush times. I admit, I did at one time. I got a high out of the adrenalin rush. That was before I had a house and a kid and responsibility for her education. I don't enjoy it anymore. I'm tired. I have anger issues. I don't think we need to get ourselves into messes like this, but am powerless to change anything. The pressure and exhaustion don't help my anger issues.

When my ship comes in I am so done with this. But it doesn't appear that I'll get that for years and years and years. Not until I drop dead of exhaustion. Guess I need to keep my mouth shut and just keep doing what I'm told.

I think Mr. Incredible is feeling sorry for me. He got a little extra money for a job and said we should take a short trip, that I really deserve it. He also just got a copy of Tangled and suggested we order in Chinese to watch it this weekend. Those both sound really nice. After a little sleep. I think I'll get the cashew chicken and crab rangoon.

3 comments:

Mother Mayhem said...

Thunderous applause from the peanut gallery! You go, Mrs. Incredible! :o)

And kudos to Mr. Incredible. ;o)

Ami said...

Is there any bigger stupid that the corporate brand of stupid?

Answer... no.

Happy dinner and a movie. You deserve it.

The Old Gray Mare said...

Oh, I hear you! I worked 48 hours last week. I'm not supposed to have overtime. The funny thing is that my boss worked with me every day, all the while telling me that he didn't want me to work any overtime. Sheesh!!