Sunday, April 3, 2011

Relaxing

It is amazing how much stuff you can get done on a weekend when you only work 3 hours instead of 10-16. I cleaned the house, got stuff put away, cleaned the hamster house, helped Violet make a cake, watched a movie, read my book, paid the bills, reconciled the check book, did the laundry, read with Violet, planned the school schedule for the next week, found some neat classes for Violet with the conservation district, and reviewed a Journey I think I'll offer to the Cadettes next year if they want to do it. Plus the usual cooking and dishes and that sort of thing.

About the Journey, it is called MEdia and is about putting the "me" in media. Violet was initially interested if it had stuff on advertising and print media and wasn't all movies and TV. My initial read through of the girl book (I got bored by the time I got to the leader book, so I'll read that another day - my attention span has gotten shorter and shorter over the years) is that we could definitely focus on ads and print if that's what they want. I'm thinking next winter would be a good time. I'm anxious to get outside with the girls this summer. They had a bunch of environmental and wildlife things in mind they want to do. I'd rather look at ads in February than look for wildlife frozen in the ice.

About the cake. It is a chocolate chip cake and is a recipe I got years ago from a former co-worker. It is delicious and I hadn't made it in ages. Violet has never had it and I knew she'd like it. Here it is for your baking enjoyment:

Chocolate Chip Cake

1/2 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
1 t vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
2 cups flour
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
12 oz chocolate chips

Cream margarine and sugar well. Add all other ingredients except chocolate chips. Mix well. Stir in 9 or 10 oz. of chocolate chips. Pour into a floured and greased tube pan (I bake mine in an angel food cake pan). Sprinkle remaining chips on top. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Delicious. Notice I didn't say good for you. Seriously, you want good for you, eat a carrot. You want an easy to make, tasty cake, give this a try.

Tomorrow is Cadette day. They are working on making carnival games for the Brownies for an upcoming carnival day. I'm not mentioning the Journey just yet. There are enough badges/projects in the works for now.

Looks like storms might be rolling in, so after I post this I think I'll shut down and unplug my computer for the night.

Hope you all had as good and relaxing a weekend as I did.

No comments: