Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Night Off

I have no work to do tonight. It is a rare treat. I've been bumming around, catching up on blogs, reading a little in Homeschooling: The Teen Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 13- to 18- Year-Old by Cafi Cohen. Violet will be a teenager in a blink of an eye.

Tomorrow Violet has her preteen book club, it will be their second meeting. I think she's really looking forward to it. I'm expecting a case of butterflies from her right before it. She usually gets those. I have some errands to run while they are discussing Gregor the Overlander.

I forgot to schedule history this week in school. I make a weekly list of subjects to do each day and we more or less follow it. (I know, yet I call myself an unschooler, Violet is the one who wants the schedule so we have some direction. Also she likes to know when we are done for the day.) Last week we were reading a biography of Abraham Lincoln (which said he hated the nickname "Abe"), so we didn't have history. This week when I updated the list I took out Lincoln but didn't add history back in. I left it up to Violet and she voted for a week off from history. She really likes our history book series, Story of US, but hey, she's 11, who's going to turn down not doing a subject when their mom forgets to schedule it?

This week and next are the two busiest at work. Therefore, I'm trying to keep things simple, like not adding history back in. I know I'll have more work thrown at me soon (probably right before we have to leave for book club tomorrow so I can fret about it the whole time we're out). But for now, I'm enjoying the peace and quiet.

Now where did I leave that cork screw? I think a night like this needs a glass of merlot and a bowl of cashews.

3 comments:

Ami said...

I love cashews.
:)


Enjoy your night off!!

Mel said...

We've been using the Story of US books this year via the K12 history curriculum. I don't like the books at all personally but B loves them and happily reads her assignments and likes to discuss stuff from them. So who am I to judge?

MOM #1 said...

I hate cashews, but I love drinks that come with corks in them. Yummy!

I hope you enjoyed your night off.

Baby Boy and I both LOVE the Story of US books. Aren't they fabulous? We even got them on audiobook and still sometimes listen to them in the car. They are very entertaining with a heaping helping of learning thrown in for good measure.

Perfecto! (That's my Spanish practice for the day, LOL)