Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Maybe the leaking water will put out the fire

Have I mentioned here that our dishwasher leaks? It started over the summer. Mr. I. put a pan underneath it to catch the water and occasionally empties it.

This is actually the second problem we've had with it. The first was last winter when the drain got clogged and it wouldn't empty totally. There is nothing more fun that bailing a dishwasher after every load. Mr. I and his dad took it apart and were able to dislodge the clog. Now it drains, but leaks.

Now low and behold we learn it has been recalled. It wasn't GE that told us (but in all fairness, we probably didn't send in our warranty card so they didn't know we bought it). It was our local Fire Department. In their newsletter they reported that they recently responded to a kitchen fire that started from a recalled dishwasher. Since many, many houses were built in the same 5 year period they figured many, many of us are affected by the dishwasher recall. Smart assumption since builders do tend to put the same make and model of most appliances in every house in the subdivision unless the new homeowner wants to make an expensive upgrade, most don't.

So, yes, now not only does our dishwasher leak, it may burst into flames at any moment.

Sigh.

Mr. I. did the research recommended by those smart firefighters (who have better things to do that put out every dishwasher in several subdivisions). Seems we can get a free repair call to fix it (but I'm guessing not the leak even though they'll be here anyway) or get a rebate of either $150 or $300 on a new GE model (depending on what model is chosen).

I don't know what we're going to do. One thing is we won't set the dishwasher to run overnight anymore.

Never a dull moment.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Yowza. Well, whether you get it repaired or get a new model, I hope it happens soon and takes care of all your dishwashing needs!

Yeah, don't leave it running overnight, I agree...

Ami said...

eeek!!

Well, I guess it depends on how old your dishwasher is and how much you hate doing dishes by hand.

My dishwasher is 13 years old. I'm expecting to have to buy a new one in the next year or so.

Hey! You could buy ME one!!!

MOM #1 said...

Seriously? I tell you truth is greater than fiction.

I vote for getting a new dishwasher, but of course, I don't have to pay for it . . . so if were really me . . . I'd just get the free fix and keep the pan underneath.

I actually do dishes by hand, because my Mother did a number on me as a child and convinced me that hand washed dishes are better than dishwasher washed dishes.

I think she just enjoyed watching me work. That woman never was quite right.

So we have a brand new dishwasher that has been used maybe 5 times sitting in our kitchen.

Hey, wanna take a road trip? Maybe y'all could come and get it.