Friday, October 30, 2009

Funerals and other news

We declared all of the brine shrimp dead this morning. I think they were gone as of yesterday, but we wanted to be sure. This afternoon, when the rain finally let up, we went out to the garden and a had a mass funeral. We dug a little hole and poured the entire contents of the hatchery in. It was so muddy, they kind of created a puddle. We covered them up with the mud and Violet put some dried leaves and the one still blooming dandelion on the grave. It was quite nice. Especially for a brine shrimp funeral.

Got lots and lots accomplished today. Besides reclaiming my desk from the shrimps. I cleaned out the refrigerator and pantry. I spent an hour putting away things. I swear, things get left out so often around here. I did some cleaning. I did some paper work. And I finished getting ready for the Juliette Low birthday party Violet and I are throwing next week.

Today was the last day Mr. I's company was in business. It is now officially closed. He said the mood was pretty bad there today. He was considering buying beer and taking it in, but decided against it.

This afternoon I handed over the reins in my homeschool forum, Homeschool-Talk, back to Manda the original founder. She was looking for something to do, and I've been neglecting it terribly. It was a perfect solution. She's reopened registration (I was too lazy to figure out how to stop the spammers that I had locked down the place over the summer) and is sprucing things up. Check it out.

Manda started the original site, Teach Your Children Well, which had a forum at the time. She made me an administrator there, probably because I was driving her crazy. Then when it got overrun with spam and she decided move the forums and just keep the blog and resources, she asked me to take over the forums. Now, she's back in charge and I'm no longer feeling guilty about not doing anything. I can just post and be happy. At least I think that was the history of the sites. Something like that. We've been at this for years.

Finally, I will be glad when Halloween is over. Does it feel like it has been going on for over a month now? When did Halloween become its own season?

4 comments:

Ami said...

The day after school started, Halloween decorations were all over the store.

I hate Halloween. I don't like blood and guts and gore and people knocking on my door.

I'm a curmudgeon.

Wendy said...

Goodbye to the brine shrimp.

It sounds like an interesting start to the weekend.

Halloween... I love it, but I have to admit that when 8 p.m. rolls around and there are no more knocks at the door, I breathe a sigh of relief.

I take a week off and THEN start thinking about Thanksgiving. No, I don't even think about Christmas until after my birthday (which is in December). LOL

MOM #1 said...

I don't mind Halloween so much I just hate the scary movie trailers all over TV.

I can't watch anything with some horror movie commercial showing up on the middle of it. I scare VERY easily and just watching one of those commercials can have me up for 3 or 4 nights. So, I don't sleep much in October.

Here's to a happy November. Hurry up!

MOM #1 said...

OH! I also wanted to say, I can't believe you kept those brine shrimp alive as long as you did. When Baby Boy and I tried to hatch some for Marine Biology . . . nothing doing. That's quite an accomplishment.