Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Chicago and Books

Today my parents took Violet to the American Girl Place in downtown Chicago. They took the train. Violet got 4 new doll outfits. Christmas came early. They wanted to go before weather got bad and while schools were in session. So for a Christmas trip/present, off they went. They had a great time.

While they were gone I worked. Got a lot done. Not necessarily what I planned, but all work for the place that pays me, so that's good. My next paycheck should be really nice.

Other good paycheck news, Mr. I. will be paid through December, not just November like was the original plan. He will be helping to close out everything over the next two months. The two extra paychecks are wonderful!

Finally, books. Violet and I are need of some book recommendations for our evening read alouds. We've recently finished Paddington Bear (and all the sequels), The Rats NIMH (and the two sequels) and A Cricket in Times Square (and are almost through all those sequels).

Our ideal next read aloud would be:

1. About a group of cute little animals.
2. Not scary, gross, spooky or otherwise nightmare inducing (this is required, Violet is very suggestible to bad images late at night).
3. Have a few sequels or related books by the same author (we like to really get into our characters and study them for a few months.

I'm thinking maybe The Rescuers. I know the Disney movie was rather scary (or at least it scared me as a kid) but I don't think the book was as scary. I think it is that Disney animation that does it.

Any other ideas, oh smart blogging buddies? I'd like to give Violet a few to pick from. Thanks!

4 comments:

Fatcat said...

The Borrowers. Did you already read the Anne of Green Gables books? Heidi and Heidi Grows Up. Hank the Cowdog (one of our personal favs). Esperanza Rising. (No sequel but a good book. I like all of the ones I've read by Pam Munoz Ryan). I've heard The Boxcar Children series is good but I haven't read them so I don't know if they have any scary parts.

Have you tried What Should I Read Next.com?

http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/search

Fatcat said...

My daughter says that the Warriors series of books are not scary either and she LOVES them.

Mother Mayhem said...

Not unless the cute, furry group lives on the prairie. LOL

Glad Violet got to spend time with her grandparents. :o)

Extra paychecks? WOOT!

Mel said...

We aren't doing them as read-aloud, she is reading on her own but B recently discovered and loves the Dish series about the sisters who love to cook. They are timely for her especially as she started taking cooking classes this month.