Monday, August 10, 2009

Picnic time

Gosh, what happened? Every single family event seemed to have been scheduled for last weekend. We had 2 things on Saturday and my company picnic on Sunday. Everyone I talked to had events to go to. I guess it is the last minute, cram in all the fun you can, so you can collapse exhausted into Fall, time of year.

I got to see my aunt from Wisconsin on Saturday. Mr. Incredible went to our niece's graduation party at his brother's house. There was no way to do both. Families weren't 100% happy, but too bad. We did our best. I was so happy to see my aunt. I was very close to her and my uncle growing up. We've drifted apart in the last few years. My uncle passed away when Violet was still a baby and I'd like her to know my aunt at least.

The company picnic was really fun, as corporate events go. Ami.Mental's faux tie dye project was a HUGE hit with both kids and their parents. It is the one where you use Sharpie markers to make designs and rubbing alcohol to make it spread out and look like tie dye. I'm going to be hitting her up for another good picnic project idea next summer. I liked hanging out with the kids 10,000 times better than playing volleyball or chit chatting.

This week I'm still neck deep in a project for work. We're making progress, but there is a long way to go. Thursday I'm taking off and heading for the beach! Violet and I were invited to go to a lake in Wisconsin with some homeschool friends. We said, "You bet! We'd love to go!" Work can wait.

So can cleaning the house, the other thing I need to do this week. I'm having my ladies group over for lunch on Saturday. This place needs a bulldozer to come through it first. For the menu I'm going vegetarian. I'm making ratatouille, asparagus, rolls, and a cold cantaloupe-peach soup. (Mr. I. thinks the soup sounds awful. But he said soup should be hot and not made from fruit. Good, I said, he won't eat it all before the girls get here.) I'm also going to try making sangria. I found 2 recipes that I think I'll do. One is a red wine with fruit and fruit juice, no extra brandy or anything (we never drink hard liquor so I didn't want to buy a bottle of brandy or rum to use 1/2 cup in sangria). The other is a white wine based, peach-lemonade. Actually, the recipe is for raspberry lemonade white wine sangria but I forgot to buy raspberries and I have extra peaches.

So Saturday is out for working. I'll be drinking leftover sangria all night. Better cancel Sunday morning too.

3 comments:

retha said...

A good way to be at the company do and still be able to 'hide' So glad I do not have to attend these.

And an older family person Violet to 'connect' with. That is definitely good.

MOM #1 said...

I have to tell you,I'm with Mr. I on that soup dish, but you can pass me a glass or two of that sangria anytime.

Freakmom said...

Freakmom's Blog may not be used for free advertising for your company or other entrepreneurial enterprise. Thank you for understanding.