Friday, August 21, 2009

Eyes on Management

For the first time in my career, I am setting my sights on a promotion. I was moving along in my career at the normal rate when I had Violet and went part time. That put the brakes on things. I didn't want a promotion. I didn't want to be a manager or have more responsibility. I could barely handle everything I was doing as it was.

Then the last 2 weeks happened. I've been thrown into the supervisory and mentoring fray due to some recent resignations. As I was doing it all (some willingly, some because I had to), I got to thinking, why aren't I a manager? I'm doing all this anyway?

This morning I was talking to my boss and told her I'd like to set up a meeting with her and our HR person and whoever else should be involved and discuss what I need to do to get that promotion. What would the company expect from me, 1. to be promoted and 2. to keep that position.

My boss said she was very excited that I was interested in pursuing this path. I think that is a very good sign. She's traveling next week (Violet is petsitting her cat), but when she gets back she is going to talk to HR and the other partners in our department then set up a meeting with me in early September.

Now this could be a long process. The partners all have to approve anything as big as a promotion to manager. It is a big deal at my firm. And they announce promotions in January to be effective the following July. I am probably way too late to make the cut for next year. But at least I'm getting the ball rolling.

And it could very well be, I sit down with them and hear what is needed and say WHOA, I can't do that! Not right now at least. But at least I'll know.

And yes, I'd still be working part-time and mostly from home. In my version anyway, that's what I'd need to see about. There have been other part-time managers. They haven't all worked out that well, but I've impressed most with my work-from-home capabilities so I am hopeful. And my company is big on workplace flexibility, so I think I stand a chance.

So keep your fingers crossed for me. I'd love to be able to fast track this for next year. But I'm not counting on it at all.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Fingers AND toes crossed here. If you can stick with the part-time and mostly at-home schedule, while still being an effective manager, so much the better!!! I'm cheering for you.

Ami said...

Oh good luck! I hope they fast track you!!

MOM #1 said...

Wow, good luck. They'd be lucky to have you in the "running things" position. Here's hoping for that fast track!

retha said...

Wendy said exactly what I had in mind while I was reading "fingers and toes"
my intestines are already twisted maybe that could help too.

Mother Mayhem said...

Saying a prayer!