Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I did not drink the Kool-Aid

Last night I was supposed to go to a Girl Scout Delegate meeting at the Council office. I didn't go. Officially, I had to work late. And I did. I've been working non-stop since Sunday. I've already worked 30 hours this week, and I'm not done yet. And I'm part-time.

Anyway, about the meeting. It is the meeting where the volunteer delegates go and vote on whatever the board of directors has already decided. Doesn't matter what we think, we aren't given a choice. We vote yes. I didn't need to deal with that on top of the other stuff I had going on. And you know what? The Girl Scout police didn't show up at my door.

We are just starting our realignment. It isn't looking to be pretty. For those of you who don't have green blood, realignment is the merging together of councils by an order from GSUSA in New York. We have 4 councils merging. So far, I haven't liked anything I've seen. If I don't see some items appear in the "pro" column by spring I will be resigning all my volunteer positions and just be Violet's Juliette adviser.

For 3 years I've been a delegate and listened to the board of directors blow smoke up their skirts about how "seamless" realignment would be to the girls and volunteers. We don't officially merge until October 1 and it isn't seamless yet. I'm tired of their smokescreens.

I will fulfill my year that I've committed to. And I'm glad I've already stepped down from 2 positions. The last one will go too unless things get drastically better.

I guess this just goes to show what a wonderful council we had before. All the changes are because of the new council or concessions to the 3 we are joining.

I'm not feeling the green fuzzies.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Do you feel sort of like the kids in the Peanuts cartoons, listening to the adults going "woh woh woh woh"?

Ami said...

Our council went through realignment a couple years ago. All was not happy or green and fuzzy.

But as a service team, we got council to reconsider the geographic grouping they'd planned (People being paid to sit behind a desk who have NEVER BEEN A LEADER OR A SCOUT should get another job if you ask me) and got things worked out a little better than they would have been.

Thing is, to us, Girl Scouts is a worthy organization for girls. To them, it's a business. And the bottom line trumps what's best for the girls every time.

It's sort of disgusting, really, but I will always support the girls by donating to their troops and encouraging them to enjoy their time as scouts. It really is a good experience for most girls.

I miss my troop, but I don't miss the frustration of dealing with GSUSA and local council.

Ami said...

To clarify:
"It's sort of disgusting, really" was a reference to the business practices of GSUSA... not a reference to supporting girls. I figure you know that, but every time I re read what I'd said, it sounded funny.

:)

Gail said...

It's fascinating how GSUSA can consistently take a good thing and totally muck it up.

Although I resigned myself to the fact that the Powers That Be in the organization consider their main job to protect their own jobs (most organizations exist solely to perpetuate themselves), it didn't occur to me that they think of it as a business. Huh. That explains a lot.

Mother Mayhem said...

I'm so proud of you! :o)

Squooshiewoodums said...

Came across your blog after searching for how "other" Girl Scouts are fairing in the realignment process. As the wife of a former camp Ranger, a volunteer, and Cookie Cupboard assistant, I can honestly say that our family bled green until the "realignment". (I say realignment but it was actually a corporate takeover.) Unfortunately, the council that ended up in charge has funneled most of the resources from my former council into their coffers and the girls in our area are having to travel farther and spend more money for programs. Camps are closing and the number of volunteers in our area are dwindling. I wouldn't be surprised if girl scouting in our area disappears within the next 3 years. Imagine, large areas across the country where girl scouting will only be a memory.