Friday, August 7, 2009

Excuses, excuses

First before anyone tries to jump through the internet to see the tie dye socks in person, since I seem to have a camera issue, here they are:



Aren't they the coolest! I love them. Thank you so much Mental!

So, why has Freakmom been so awol lately? Well, I have a bunch of excuses. For one, I have been working more hours. They have me doing some mentoring of a junior staffer, so I'm tied up during the day more than I'd care to be.

Also, since it has been nice, Violet has been in the pool in the backyard a lot lately. And our house rule is, there must be a grown up outside with you at all times when you are in the pool. That means me. I have made a great dent in my magazine pile, and have been tending the garden, but not much else.

Finally, I am making a concerted effort to stay offline more. I have to be at my computer for 95% of what I do for work (the other 5% I'm on the phone). One day a couple of weeks ago, I was taking a break, goofing off online, reading blogs and forums and such. Violet came over to me and asked if when I was done working would I help her. She said she hated bothering me. And I don't remember exactly what she needed, but it was big. Something big enough that a 10 year old should haven't to ask her mom to please help when she wasn't too busy.

That was a wake up call. So when I'm not working, I've been trying to spend more time away from my computer. I'm still at it a lot (and have the sore back to prove it), but I am more available to Violet.

So what have I been doing? Lots of things. None of them productive. I've been reading the Goldy the Caterer series by Diane Mott Davidson. They are "culinary mysteries." I've been cooking. I haven't been cleaning the house (I may be a freak, but I'm not crazy!). And I've been doing this:



I find it very relaxing. Almost zen like to find the pieces and put it together. 1000 pieces, mostly edges (it is like concentric frames going into the middle, that's why I don't have the whole edge done - I can't find the actual outside.) Spike helps me. He came home with us from my aunt's house when we went for her memorial.

And that's where Freakmom has been hiding.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Cute socks! I'm personally a fan of argyle and have never seen tie-dyed socks. So cool.

And don't even get me started on puzzles. Love 'em! I'm working on one all the time. They help keep me offline or from going crazy. LOL

It is good that you are trying to balance out all the work with important things like family and taking care of yourself. But also nice to see you online. :)

Fatcat said...

It's hard to balance it isn't it? I spend way too much time on the computer!

MOM #1 said...

Oh I LOVE the socks! That was worth waiting for.

I totally understand about getting away from the computer and getting into real life with your family. Good for you, but don't forget to drop your online friends a line or two every once in a while.

I haven't done a jigsaw puzzle in years . . . you're making me want to go get one. They certainly are therapeutic and oh-so-satisfying.

The Old Gray Mare said...

Cool socks!

We spend way too much time in front of a screen--computer, TV, video games.

There's nothing I like to do more than work on a jigsaw puzzle. It is truly good therapy.

retha said...

Good place or reason to hide.
I have never seen nor heard of those puzzles.

Mother Mayhem said...

LOVE the socks! Now I can rest in peace. ;o)

I've been doing way too much running around. Especially to the doctor. Two more appointments this week. UGH.

I don't trust Spike. He looks like the type that would hide the last puzzle piece for himself.