Thursday, August 13, 2009

Nicest Day

We had the nicest day today. We went to a lake in Wisconsin with some homeschool friends. It started out as a tour of Dairy Queen, but before that got scheduled it had morphed into swimming at the lake and getting Girl Scout Blizzards at Dairy Queen on the way home.

The lake was so nice, there was mostly grassy areas with picnic tables, then some gravelly sand (hey, its Wisconsin, not Hawaii, whatcha going do, you take what you can get), then a really clear lake. The deepest point in the swimming area went up to my waist. There were two other girls with us and their mom. Actually we were with them. They drove and they were the ones who knew about the place.

Violet had a blast swimming in the lake. We took lunches. We had beautiful weather. We made plans to go up once a month next summer. And Violet and I are trying to figure out when we can go back with Mr. I. and Red if we can get her for the day.

The Blizzards were good too. I had a Tagalong, yummy! The other family all had Thin Mint and raved about it. Violet is more of an ice cream purist and prefers not to have things mixed into hers. She did like her dipped cone.

The other mom is also a work from home, homeschooling mom. It was really nice to have someone in person to discuss issues like, staying professional on the phone while being handed chewed up cookie (okay I made that scenario up, buy you get my drift) and sacrificing some advancement while being part-time. I don't know any others locally who homeschool and still work in their careers.

It was nice to talk with someone else who gets it. I get tired of hearing "you're so lucky" from people. Yes, I am lucky that I work somewhere that is so flexible. But, I've also worked my butt off to have established myself there before I became part-time and worked it off even more to define a role for myself that they didn't even know they needed. I didn't just open up the mailbox one day and have a stay at home job in it.

Anyway, leave it to me to turn a nice little post about what a good day we had into a rant about work. I blame it on too much sun.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

It sounds like a lovely day. The Tagalong Blizzard is one of my favorites. :)

retha said...

I do not know about any type of Blizzard nor what it must be like at a lake like where you went. I believe it was a very good day.
What I do know about is that sentence about you being lucky. Gmpf
I was once told luck sands for
Labour
Under
Correct
Knowledge

MOM #1 said...

Looks like you found a good homeschool-mom-friend. That can be hard to come by, so you should nurture that friendship in your "spare" time. LOL. I couldn't resist.

I didn't know y'all had Dairy Queens that far north. Aren't they delicious? I could live at the Dairy Queen.

In fact my first job was working on Sundays making blizzards and banana splits for the "after church" crowd. You know, since I was a non-church-going-heathen.

I was too young to work the cash register, so they kept me busy on the ice cream machine all. the. live. long. day.

Even after all of that, I still LOVE me some Dairy Queen.

The Old Gray Mare said...

It all sounds lovely!

Fatcat said...

Cool that you worked to get them to let you work at home. I had to change companies to do that. I tried to get my old hospital to go for it, but they wouldn't.