Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Weekend

What a busy weekend! I guess they all are in summer. I worked 8 and a half hours on Saturday and another 4 today. I am back on track again. Mr. I. and Violet went out for a Father's Day lunch and movie yesterday. They saw Up and really liked it. Today we got the pool put up, it is still filling. And did a bunch of other things around the house and yard. It never ends, does it?

I am in a battle with the library right now. I put a bunch of books on hold for Violet. During the summer reading program it is impossible to find anything on the shelves. The vultures come in, check everything out, turn in their forms, collect their free prizes, then disappear until the next summer. I can't wait until they disappear.

Anyway, I had gotten the e-mail notice that the books were in. I went in, and they weren't on the reserve shelf. Well, one was, the other 4 weren't. I went up to the circulation desk and they didn't really believe me that someone had made a mistake like that. They kept insisting, did someone else take my card and come in and check them out for me? Someone in my family? Yeah, my huge family that I can't keep track of. No, Mr. I. had been in downtown Chicago all day. Violet was at home with me. We didn't check them out, you let someone else check them out.

The library was closing (this was Thursday night), so I came home to put the books back on hold. Low and behold, the computer system wouldn't let me put one of them on hold because I already had it checked out. Somehow the library let someone else check out one of my holds and put it on my account. I forwarded the e-mail with the hold notice, explained the entire situation, and am still waiting to hear from them. I really don't like in person confrontations, but I'm going to have to go in there soon and stand there until they fix it! I think if they check the time stamp (which I think they have access to, but I don't) they'll see that the one I had on hold was checked out at a very different time than the books I checked out Thursday night. My big hope is whoever checked out "Patches" from the Puppy Place series will bring it back soon. I did put the books back on hold using Violet's card. I mean, hey, we might both as well have our cards in arrears.

Of course, I dwell on things like this and they slowly eat me up. I hope this can be resolved tomorrow.

Friday we had storms. In fact a funnel cloud was spotted 8 miles west of our town early in the morning. We hung out in the basement while the tornado sirens were going. Then Violet and I went to spend the rest of the day with my parents. We had a nice visit. Tonight and tomorrow there are more storms predicted. But the weekend was nice. Hot, humid, but nice.

The garden is looking great. I've got to get some pictures for you. We picked a few lettuce leaves. We have tiny tomatoes starting. The pumpkin and zucchini look great. And the cabbage is coming up. I am hopeful for a good harvest.

Hope all the dads in your lives had nice Father's Days. I think Mr. I. did. Even if he had to do yard work.

3 comments:

Mother Mayhem said...

Happy Father's Day to your Mister Incredible too. ;o)

Garden State Kate said...

Funnel clouds..tornado sirens...scary!
Library messing with V's summer reads..not cool!
Weekend in the Garden with your family?
Priceless! Glad something went well.;-)

MOM #1 said...

You need to make super good, like bring cookies good, friends with your librarian. If they ever make a mistake, I speak to my old buddy pal Ms. Librarian, and she fixes it right up for me.

I'm glad Mr. I had a great father's day.