Thursday, June 18, 2009

Isn't it time for them to go back to school yet?

I've been home 3 full days that the school kids have been out. I'm ready for them to go back. It is so loud in the neighborhood when they are home. Constantly yelling, running around and screaming. My goodness, do little girls really need to scream all day long? I never did. Violet doesn't either. We just can't pull it off. And fog horns. Why are they blasting those? Music hasn't been too bad, although last night the dad next door was practicing his drums. At least he always stops at a decent hour.

Doesn't help that my neighbor is having a garage sale. Now I love these neighbors dearly. We've known them for years. Their oldest daughter is our long time pet and babysitter. But with a garage sale comes extra talking. And extra cars. And strange people parking everywhere. I could do without it.

Speaking of outside, the garden has gone nuts. This is the time of the year we gets lots of rain (August will be bone dry, just wait). The plants are going crazy. Of course it seems a bit worse because the lawn needs mowing. Nothing is ready to harvest yet, but it will be soon. Spinach and lettuce will be up first. I moved their containers up to the top of the deck to keep the bunnies out of them. After seeing Mom #1's photos I was picturing our Bun-Buns standing on the back feet chomping away.

I know you are all probably getting tired of hearing this but things look really bleak at Mr. I's company. One option that was discussed today was selling off the customer list and closing the doors. Haven't heard the outcome yet. When his job goes, so too goes our health insurance. I made Violet's 10 year checkup appointment for next week. It is early, but at least we should still have coverage. We don't need it for school, but she does need it for Girl Scout camp each year. This will give her a year without worries. It is about 4 months too early for my checkup and mammogram. I don't think I can go in that early.

I am going to start trying to find insurance for us. I can't get it at my work. I don't work enough "regularly scheduled hours" and they can't give me enough to qualify (I've asked). I was looking at the premiums through my job and they are really high anyway, the plan has a very low deductible. We don't have that many expenses (knock on wood, rub on one of those Bun Bun feet, and toss some salt over my shoulder) so I am going to try to find us a plan with a really high deductible to keep the monthly cost down.

Sigh. This sucks. I want it to be two years ago when things were so much rosier for all of us. Or two years in the future when things are better again.

5 comments:

MOM #1 said...

I hear hear hear you on that two years . . . since we can't go back . . . I guess a hurry up is in order.

I certainly hope you don't have to lose your health insurance or Mr. I's job. What a yucky situation that could turn out to be. I'll keep y'all on my mind.

I also hear you about the neighborhood children. Baby Boy has drama practice at the library and usually I take that time to sit on my laptop and catch up on the stuff I don't have time to do at home . . . like blogs and message boards . . . but the darn neighborhood children were out of school and they turned my precious calm quiet library into a virtual playground.

I mean doesn't anyone know what an "inside voice" is anymore?

Geeze Louise!

Ami said...

The uncertainty is awful, isn't it?
I'll send good thoughts your way.

As for the kid noise... I actually voluntarily spend the summer listening to other people's kids... but that's at work. When I'm at home, I really prefer NOT to hear it.

Mother Mayhem said...

Rubbing salty bun-bun feet for you!

Actually, I don't believe in luck, but I am praying for the Incredibles! *Hugs-a-bunch*

Fatcat said...

My husband's job may be in jeopardy too. We'll find out in August. It sucks.

SabrinaT said...

Sending prayers and lot's of salt your way!!!

ACK! I don't even want to think about all the kids that will not be in school when we land! Can I just have my valum now? haha