Friday, November 21, 2008

I am back

We got back from vacation Tuesday night. We had a nice time. Mr. Incredible had some big work problems come up that cut into some of our time and a lot of his relaxation. That stunk, mainly for him. Violet and I went in the pool while he tried to fix the servers from 1200 miles away.

I'm still slowly catching up. I've got a ton of work to do, which is good since I'm paid hourly. I've been working on catching up with all your blogs. Some highlights since our return:

A co-worker and close friend of mine was laid off yesterday. Our boss just said to ask her about it. The official word was that she left to pursue other career opportunities. I tried to call her today but got her answering machine. I'm really bummed about this and more worried than ever about my own job security as well. I feel so bad for her.

This afternoon Violet and I helped sort candy and nut orders for the Girl Scout troops. It was fun. We only got through 10 troops. The lady in charge of it had other helpers for this evening. Violet liked that she got to do that instead of math and grammar today. Plus she liked playing with the doggies at her house.

Tonight I dropped off two copy paper boxes full of canned and dry goods for the Operation Thanksgiving food drive, another Girl Scout event. I set out hoping to fill one box from Juliette donations and ended up with 2 boxes plus a bag of "extras." At least one Juliette participated on her own as well (daughter of evil ex-leader). It was really cold here today and before I left to take the food donations I ate a bowl of chili for dinner. Then I got to thinking about the significance of eating a hot meal before delivering food pantry donations. Ironic, isn't it?

The next big community service project is a collection for an animal shelter. I'm really hoping to talk one of the other Juliette families into doing that delivery, it is much further away than tonight's was. I'm thinking maybe someone travels that direction on a regular basis anyway. Check back here in March, I'm sure you'll read about me driving the donations to the shelter.

My dad had minor surgery today and is back home tonight. I was quite glad to get the a-ok phone call a few hours ago.

As I catch up and decompress I'll write more of my witty, insightful, thought-inspiring commentaries on life. In the meantime, I'm happy to just read all of yours.

6 comments:

Ami said...

Welcome home!

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back! I missed you! HUGS

Also glad that Dad is a-ok. :o)

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. I missed your witty insights!!!
Good luck with the job, and I hope you can get ahold of your co-worker.
Glad your Dad did well in his surgery!!

The Old Gray Mare said...

Welcome back!

Glad your Dad is doing okay.

Garden State Kate said...

Glad your Dad is ok, sorry your vacation got cut into with DH's work.
Hope your co-worker is ok...that is scary.

Mel said...

My hubby is a computer guy too so I know all too well how that affects his "time off". I love reading about your Girl Scout stuff. I wish our troop did community projects like that, we really don't. I am not sure why but am going to bring it up next meeting. Glad your dad is ok.