Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Egg Inspection

Today I went to a grocery store I don't normally go to. We were visiting my parents and my dad rode with me into town (he's doing great from the surgery) and we stopped to get a couple of items. I needed eggs. As always I checked to make sure they were all there and none were broken back at the dairy case. Then when we got up to the checkout the lady opened the carton and inspected the eggs. Even turned the carton around and looked very closely at them all. It was very creepy I tell you! I was NOT comfortable with some strange lady breathing on my eggs and looking at them like that. Dad thought she was squirrelly too. (Although to be honest, Dad thinks most people are squirrelly.) (And one more parenthetical, Blogger doesn't recognize "squirrelly" as spelled correctly although my dictionary does. And if you say squirrelly enough times in your head it sounds, well squirrelly. And no I haven't been nipping at the wine this early in the day.)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had experienced this sort of egg scrutiny before. Mom said she never did, but she doesn't usually go to that store either. Did the lady think I was smuggling something out in the egg carton? A t-bone steak or pound of shrimp perhaps? Maybe a bottle of vodka? Did she think I looked shifty with my wool coat and pink purse and Sporto boots? I don't look shifty, Lady. I look like a suburbanite mom. Maybe that's it, my suburbia scared her (my parents live in a small town out of the suburbs).

Maybe I just have a weird egg paranoia. Ew, maybe she has a weird egg fetish. I think I'll go wash my eggs now.

6 comments:

Mel said...

Nope, that has never happened to us!

The Old Gray Mare said...

I've never had anyone check out my eggs either. Strange!

Red said...

When I worked in the gorcery store, I used to quickly inspect eggs to make sure they were all crack free. But never ever did I get squirelly about it.

For me it was a courtesy to the customer who may not check their eggs out.

MOM #1 said...

UUhhhh no. That has never happened to me. I only buy eggs about once or twice a year . . . so I definitely would remember that.

How rude!

Anonymous said...

I think she definitely has an egg fetish. Shudder.

Happy Thanksgiving! HUGS

Anonymous said...

I was like Red when I worked at Publix, I would quickly check my customers eggs. I hope I never did it that way!!!
Oh well, maybe she just wanted to make sure your eggs were okay.