Monday, November 24, 2008

Breathing easier again

A few glasses of wine (hey, if one is good, several must be better right?), some good nights' sleep and a few things crossed off my to do list have put me in a much better perspective.

I've decided not to go to the holiday party. I usually only make it once every three years or so anyway. I went last year. I work nights and weekends. I'm not supposed to be working during normal business hours. At least not such that would require day care, except in emergencies. Mandatory meetings, client meetings, presentations are one thing, a party is different. I can't have Mr. Incredible risk his job for a party. Especially one with a talent show. Yep, they wanted us to perform something at it. I don't think so. Although I can sing a mean camp song. I know all the words and actions to "Great Big Moose", "Going on a Bear Hunt" and "Herman the Worm." That would wow them in the tax department. Ha!

Thanksgiving is going forward as planned. If my dad decides even that morning that he isn't up to a car ride and sitting around someone else's house that's perfectly understandable. I talked to my mom and offered to bring a turkey pot pie to their house afterwards if he didn't want to make the trip. She thinks he'll be more than ready to come, but I think they appreciated the flexibility in deciding. I assured them I would make the same amount of food regardless of their decision and they'd still get some, just in a slightly different format.

We got a lot of school done today. We're shelving formal multiplication for a while and doing some decimal and measuring work in Key to. I did give her 6 multiplication problems to do on the white board and plan to do that each day. The main thing she needs to focus on is her own confidence in her abilities. She knows a lot. She doesn't think she does. And she clamps up when anyone asks her something.

I got a lot of work done over the weekend. My boss even commented about how busy I was. I'm going to be more proactive in looking for things I can do and proposing them. They like that sort of thing, and I can use the extra hours.

The mammogram is over with. No more squish until next year.

Still need to figure out a way to keep Christmas in check this year. I've been trying every year of my marriage (20 years next fall!) and I get voted down every single year. I don't want to exchange with every member of the extended family (Mr. Incredible's step mom's family to boot, not even any family either of us grew up with!), yet we do. I'll protest again this year. I'll lose. I'll come home with a bunch of crap I don't want and don't need. Maybe I'll work on this issue more before I give up. As I look at what I've typed, I think it is a fight worth fighting. "We love you, Merry Christmas, be well in 2009, no presents," seems like a really reasonable alternative to me.

I've caught up in reading all your blogs and have enjoyed reading what you've been up to. I know I haven't left many comments, but be assured I did read it all and laughed and sighed with you. ((hugs))

3 comments:

Fatcat said...

Why don't you bring some of that wine down here?

Anonymous said...

I've had several Pepsis myself. ;o)

MOM #1 said...

I despise buying Christmas gifts for overly-extended family that I hardly know . . . but Mom #2 from an old-fashioned Hispanic family and by definition "the more the merrier."

I'm more of a "just the three of us" kinda girl . . . but I always loose too.

*SIGH*

I'm glad you're getting all caught up.