Thursday, November 10, 2011

Look at me...I'm free!

Woo hoo! Tomorrow I am officially on PTO. I finished up my client loose ends. Took care of some administrative paperwork. I've set my away message. I've shut down my work computer. No checking e-mail, no answering the phone, no work. I think I like this even better than PTO while on vacation.

Not that we'll be home much tomorrow. We have our recycle facility tour in the afternoon. I knew it was a drive there, but Google Maps said it was a little farther than I remembered. I'm going to allow a little over an hour to get there. The worst part is we have to leave just before noon. That sure puts a damper on lunch. We always eat later rather than earlier. But waiting until 2 or 2:30 until we're done will make us crabby. Looks like it is sandwiches in the car.

On our way home we have to stop and pick up GS cookie order forms. They are always available way early around here because the service units like to take December off and not meet. Works for us. I coordinate cookie sales only for our small Juliette group, that's 4 girls these days. No way will I do it for the large group, which is over 20 girls. That's way too many for one cookie mom. I don't think many if any of the girls in the big group will sell. Since we're Juliettes the parents have to play the part of the leader. I doubt any of the other parents will step up to do that even for their own daughters. I could be wrong. But I don't think I am in most cases. Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging them for not wanting to do it. I'm the first to say that cookie sales is a big pain in the butt for the adults. Just saying that I don't think most will. Which is too bad because it leaves the girls missing out on a big part of Girl Scouting (you know the 3C's: crafts, cookies and camp).

But cookie sales has always been fun for Violet, so she'll do it again. She never has big sales but she's fine with that. I think her favorite part is sorting out the orders. And the other families who I help turn in their orders and pick up their cookies are so good and so easy to work with. I don't mind doing for our small group in the least.

Today the Cadettes in the park district group finished their Journey. Violet did such an amazing job. The whole journey (Amaze) was completely out of her comfort zone and she did it. They put on a puppet show and did a craft with the Brownies today. The Brownies really liked the puppet show and I think the craft, too. They definitely found the puppet show funny. (Of course, it was on a serious topic of what is a good way to solve an argument with a friend, but hey, they are 8 and 9. The Cadettes did do some funny ad libbing.)

We're hoping to move the Cadettes away from the Brownies and Daisies to another part of the building. We think the Cadettes would really benefit from a more quiet space without the distractions of the younger girls and the brothers who hang out there. I'm not getting my hopes up, but the option that is being explored right now would be a TERRIFIC solution. Fingers, toes and eyes all crossed.

By the way, no one called me on the odd title of my last post. I meant to go back and write a title once I wrote the post but forgot to. I decided to leave it after I'd published and realized it. Gives it character.

One more note - it was snowing here today. Some stuck to the ground for a while. It is all gone now. This is early for our first snow.

Time to enjoy my free time...

2 comments:

Mother Mayhem said...

I thought I hear someone exhaling! Glad to see that it was you! :o)

Mel said...

We really despise cookie sales. If we were Juliettes we wouldn't bother doing it. Even last year in the troop we only did the cookie booth at the grocery store, that was it. I think her sales were like 40 boxes. I think our GS days are officially over though. No one around here is interested in it. All the girls we've met or know of via classes and groups are either in 4-H or Awana or Heritage Girls (the Christian versions of scouting) or something like that. The GS office and store that was here closed down recently so I guess there really aren't interested people! The nearest GS activities are located 90 miles away in Yakima. No thanks!